Friday, April 03, 2015

A new view of Palm Sunday - Part 3

Continued from Part 2.
Branch from a thorn plant, similar to which would have
been used for Jesus' crown of thorns.  Ouch!

I have never enjoyed playing the part of the Crowd when we read the Passion of Our Lord.  "Crucify Him, Crucify Him!"  I don't want those words to come out of my mouth.  Yet, how easily I forget.  When I gossip or make a hurtful comment, I am crucifying Jesus.  When I desire something that isn't mine or I act with greed, I am nailing Him to the cross.  If only I could wrap my brain around the idea that my actions are screaming, "Crucify Him!" when I choose sin.






It was interesting to walk through the streets of the Old City, and ponder Jesus' final steps.  We walked the Via Dolorosa in the very early morning.  It was dark and the streets were quiet.



We prayed the Stations of the Cross, naturally, and sang songs in between the stations.  



The markers indicated the location of the stations, along the streets, as some places are now inside of buildings.  So, while there wasn't much to 'see', the feeling was intense and solemn.  Later in the day, when we returned to the Old City, the streets were bustling and noisy, but that is more likely what Jesus' journey included.  I found the comparison interesting; we want silence to pray (or we avoid silence for the same reason) but yet we can see God in the midst of our lives, just as He journeyed through the streets of Jerusalem, if we just learn to see with our hearts.  

Today, I prayed the Way of the Cross, remembering the streets, both empty and bustling.  God is present in all ways, and sometimes most especially in unexpected ways.  I read a meditation for today that talked about visiting a cemetery or grave of a loved one.  What a beautiful remembrance, to cherish a memory, while recognizing the joy of eternal salvation.  So I visited Tasha's grave.  


During today's service, I felt such emotion that brought tears to my eyes.  Veneration of the Cross was especially memorable.  We sang the chant, "Jesus, remember me when You come into Your Kingdom," repeatedly.  As I prayed those words, I thought of our beloved dead and those who grieve the loss.  Not a single tear shed goes unnoticed by God.  

Today begins the Divine Mercy Novena - consider praying this novena for the intentions listed.  Visit https://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/novena.htm for more information.  

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."


First Day
"Today bring to Me all mankind, especially all sinners,
and immerse them in the ocean of My mercy. In this way you will console Me in the bitter grief into which the loss of souls plunges Me."

Most Merciful Jesus, whose very nature it is to have compassion on us and to forgive us, do not look upon our sins but upon our trust which we place in Your infinite goodness. Receive us all into the abode of Your Most Compassionate Heart, and never let us escape from It. We beg this of You by Your love which unites You to the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Eternal Father, turn Your merciful gaze upon all mankind and especially upon poor sinners, all enfolded in the Most Compassionate Heart of Jesus. For the sake of His sorrowful Passion show us Your mercy, that we may praise the omnipotence of Your mercy for ever and ever. Amen.

To be continued . . . Part 4

No comments: