Friday, September 13, 2013

The grace of music

Tonight I did something special.  I played the piano for Jesus.  It was after a wedding rehearsal, and everyone else had left, and I could just play for Jesus.  The sun was setting, lighting up the windows of our church, and I just enjoyed making music.  As I was playing, I thought to myself, "Why don't I do this more often?"  Hmm.  Well, if you know me at all, you know I tend to keep my schedule 'full'.  So, the answer seemed obvious.  But it was something about the time I spent there that soothed my soul like nothing has in the past few weeks of my busy life.

Yes, it was good that I stopped to just be, but I think that there were 2 other pieces that made it even more soul-touching:  1)  I was making music, and 2)  I was aware of God's presence.

Music is an amazing thing.  I feel so very blessed that I am gifted with music.  I love singing and playing, enjoying and listening to music.  It speaks to me in a way that words can't describe.  I pray best through music.  Music is my prayer.  Music has the power to express emotions that words can't touch.  Without music, I feel less alive.  So, taking the time to make music was an opportunity for my soul to bloom.  I played a variety of songs, and I ended with a favorite that is fun to play and has a beautiful melody.  As I listened to the last note fade in the church, I felt peace.  I hope I never take this joy for granted.

While I was playing, I imagined God smiling at me.  Probably the indulgent smile of a parent who sees their child experiencing a simple joy.  I also imagined that God was also wondering why I waited so long to do this.  You see, I used to go and play just for Jesus every week when I was growing up.  I'm not talking about playing for a liturgy or church event.  My parents always kept a holy hour of Eucharist Adoration every week, and when I went, I would play the piano.  It always felt different at church.  My music was more . . . . . . everything!  The notes were right, the songs were uplifting, and it was just better.  I don't attribute this to a better piano or improved acoustics.  It's because I was very aware of my audience.  It's hard to miss Jesus when the tabernacle is in the same room!  The same was true tonight.  My music sounded sweeter than anything I could play at home.  I'm not saying I can only play for Jesus in a church, but the environment certainly impacted my awareness.  Yes, God is everywhere.  But being on holy ground, in a sacred place, with Christ present is almost beyond words.  It makes the good stuff even better.

In our catechism study last week, we looked at the section on singing and music (yay!).  I especially appreciated the quote from St. Augustine, "He who sings prays twice."  [please note that it doesn't say he who sings well prays twice - any singing will do!]  When I heard Immaculee Ilibagiza speak (her website is here), she emphasized how beautiful music is to Our Mother Mary.  Music drops defenses and allows our souls to open.  I encourage, no, I beseech you to use music as a way to open your soul to God.  The next time you are in church, fully participate in the music.  It can be intimidating, but God is not glorified by our self-consciousness.  We must act with holy boldness so we can praise God with our full, active, and conscious participation, both in our liturgies and in our lives.  

Prayer - God, thank you for the gift of music.  I can open myself to You through song.  I want to find the joy in every act; help me to see the blessings all around me.  "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.  My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him."  ~Psalm 28:7

No comments: