Sunday, March 29, 2015

A new view of Palm Sunday

On Palm Sunday Road
It's been 77 days since I began my journey to the Holy Land.  In some ways, it seems like it's been ages since I went.  But I usually get a little nudge from Scripture that takes me back there.  With Palm Sunday's Gospel of Jesus' Passion, I got a great big wallop!  The scene begins with Jesus entering Jerusalem on a colt.  This would have been on the road, now called Palm Sunday road.  I remember when we walked it, long and winding.  It appears much different today, paved and narrow, with walls and fences.  Our guide described the likely scene with Jesus and the crowds and the branches.  I understand why we use palms - there are lots of palm trees in Israel!  It makes sense :)

View from Palm Sunday Road


Olive tree in Gethsemane
The Upper Room
Then Jesus asking His disciples to prepare a place for them:  The Upper Room.  Being in that room, and picturing the scene.  This was the Institution of the Holy Eucharist - amazing!  From there, traveling to Gethsemane, which is nearby.  Now the olive trees in the garden are fenced off, but it is easy to imagine the disciples sitting on the ground, leaning against the trees, and falling asleep.  Jesus nearby, praying profusely, sweating blood on the rock.  The rock which we saw and touched.

The Agony in the Garden
Jesus' betrayal by Judas, and the guards marching Jesus across the valley to the home of the high priest.  We saw the steps they would have climbed to the courtyard of Caiaphas.

The steps to the High Priest's house

Remembering the statue of Peter's denial of Jesus. How many times do I deny Jesus through my words and actions? I know it's much more than 3 times. Yet Jesus is merciful and loving, constantly desiring me. We are always given the opportunity to repent, just like Jesus gave Peter when He named Peter the Rock on which Jesus would build His Church (saw that place too!).

Statue depicting Peter's denial of Jesus

Peter's denial

Peter's Primacy

To be continued . . . Part 2

No comments: