Sunday, August 18, 2013

20th Sunday in Ordinary Time - part 3

Continuation of reflections on Sunday readings (part 1 is here, part 2 is here).

I know - enough already.  But there was such a powerful commentary in our Living Liturgy book about liturgy and division that really struck a chord with me, I had to share it.

So . . . a brief summary of the commentary - in the Gospel we heard about division in a household, specifically within a family.  We all know that family is not the only place to experience division.  I don't want to paraphrase the rest - it's just too good, so here it is:
"There are probably few things in parish life which cause divisions the way the decisions about the celebration of liturgy can.  Is it not ironic that the very celebration whereby we express our unity in the Body of Christ can be the cause for so much anger, anguish, and divisiveness?  Sometimes a parish can be radically split about how to celebrate liturgy because "good" liturgy is judged in terms of what individuals or groups want, desire, or find satisfying.  Ideally, everyone would come to Sunday Mass each Sunday and go home satisfied, filled and spiritually and emotionally fed.  In reality, this does not happen to everyone in the same way and at the same time.  One way to deal with this issue is to remember that the purpose of liturgy is not primarily our own satisfaction; rather, the purpose of liturgy is to give God praise and thanksgiving by offering ourselves with Christ on the altar."  (Living Liturgy 2013, emphasis mine).
Wow.  I couldn't say it better myself.  The purpose of liturgy is not primarily our own satisfaction.  Spend some time with that phrase.  I mean, really mull it over.  Does that shake your expectations of church at least a little?  Is it a wake-up call?  Or at least, maybe a poke in the ribs?  I challenge you to honestly and truthfully consider why you show up for liturgy.  I purposefully said 'show up' because I want us to consider if we simply 'show up' instead of participate.  Are we there to be entertained?  So we will feel good when we leave?  Liturgy is more than emotions and bigger than feelings.  

Lots to consider, so I'll pause for now.

Prayer - Lord, I want to know You more deeply, but it's hard to prioritize with so many distractions in my life.  Help me use the Sunday liturgy as a time to truly be present, to look beyond the emotions and busyness and focus on the opportunity to join with my church family, Your living Body on earth, and offer myself.  I want to offer all of me, the weaknesses and failings, the joys and achievements, so that my gifts may join with Your ultimate gift to become perfect in God's eyes.      

No comments: