Sunday, August 11, 2013

Mah-waige (aka marriage)

I just returned from festivities celebrating the Sacrament of Marriage yesterday.  My good friend married a great guy, and it was an absolutely beautiful day, in so many ways.  I knew I wanted to come back and reflect on the event some more, and I started thinking how I wanted my post to go.  How could I possibly do justice to such a beautiful sacramental celebration?

I admit, I gave it a lot of thought, and borrowed some inspiration from other blogs, such as this one.  For while we all know lots of great wedding movies or wedding scenes from movies, nothing can top the Princess Bride:



Of course, the video really has nothing to do with the celebration in which I participated as far as characters, accents, or backstory, but I couldn't resist a reference to the classic line, "Mah-waige is what brings us together."

Marriage is what brought all of us together yesterday; friends and family, neighbors, co-workers, extended family, young and old.  We came together to witness the beginning of a new family.  I was privileged to be a lector for the ceremony, and I proclaimed the first reading, which was from Genesis.  The words took on a whole new meaning, as I directed them to my friends.  ". . . and the two shall become one flesh."  They have become a new creation in the eyes of God and the witnesses present.  They are no longer separate.  She was glowing the entire day, and he was beaming as much as I've seen any guy beam!

In my attendance at many, many wedding ceremonies, I am amazed at how my perspective of love is deepened.  I remember one particular homily that was given at a wedding, and the priest recommended that the people who were present at the liturgy should stay close to the couple because the couple was overflowing with God's grace, especially today (the day of their wedding).  He said when the sacrament of marriage is celebrated, God's grace is even more abundant, and that it would be spilling over the couple.  Thus, the recommendation to stick close and experience some of the overflowing grace!  I love that imagery; God pouring a pitcher of never-ending graces on the couple as they administer the Sacrament of Marriage to each other.  How amazing is that?  Sign me up, please!

So, along with the funny clip above, I have one other piece I wish to share - the lyrics to another song by Francesca Battistelli - A Hundred More Years.  I wish this as a prayer to my friends, that the joy, grace, and love they experienced on their wedding day may last for a hundred more years.

Hundred More Years

Album: Hundred More Years
Artist: Francesca Battistelli
Diamond ring and 12 red roses
Everything she ever wanted
All those dreams and now they’re finally here
She’s so young and he’s so perfect
They waited for love and it was worth it
She wants to feel like this for a hundred years
All of this life still yet to live and they can hardly wait
(Chorus)
They can laugh
They can cry
The future looks so beautiful and bright
They can dance
Under the moonlight
‘Cause God is smiling down on them tonight
And she wants to stay right here
Make it last for a hundred more years
She’s got blue eyes just like her mother
Three years old, he’s crazy for her
He wants to freeze this day before it disappears
She’s spinning like a little princess
Making sure he’s gonna notice
He could watch her twirl for a hundred years
She’ll grow up and she’ll leave home but until that day
(Chorus)
They can laugh
They can cry
The future looks so beautiful and bright
They can dance
Under the moonlight
‘Cause God is smiling down on them tonight
And he wants to stay right here
Make it last for a hundred more years
And it’s only time
But it flies right by
And today is sweeter than we know
And so they dance
Under the moonlight
‘Cause God is smiling down on them tonight
And they want to stay right here
For a hundred more years
Words & Music By: Francesca Battistelli / Ben Glover


No comments: