Monday, May 17, 2010

Gems I discovered

I was cleaning out my computer files, and came across this document:

Everyone experiences stress—it’s a necessary part of life and growth. In fact, we need a certain amount of stimulation to perform daily tasks and achieve goals. ‘We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.’ Romans 8:28

When stress is excessive or extended, it becomes “distress.” This kind of stress can cause anxiety, depression, and physical ailments. ‘In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I called from his temple he heard my voice, and my cry came to his ears.’ 2 Samuel 22:7

Write down your stresses from the past year. Remember that even happy events-like weddings, births, promotions-can cause stress. You are acknowledging the pressures in your life. ‘In the day of prosperity be joyful and in the day of adversity consider; God has made the one as well as the other, so that mortals may not find out anything that will come after them.’ Eccelsiastes 7:14

Say no when others make unfair demands on you. You will not be a help to anyone if you become overburdened and burnt out. ‘Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.’ Psalms 55:22

Some stressful events just happen. Others result from the choices we make. See if you can defer any stresses, so they don’t all pile up at once. “For my iniquities have gone over my head; they weigh like a burden too heavy for me. Psalms 38:4

Confront the chronic stress in your life, seek counseling, if necessary, to help you to make a plan to alleviate this stress. “The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. Psalms 33:11

Don’t add to your stress by putting unrealistic expectations on yourself. You are the only responsible for doing the best you can under the circumstances. “anxiety weighs down the human heart, but a good word cheers it up.’ Proverbs 12:25

When you face a difficult day, prioritize your duties, plunge in, and reward yourself for tasks accomplished. “ May the Lord reward you for your deeds, and may you have a full reward from the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come for refuge.” Ruth 2:12

If you start to feel frustrated or panicky, take a deep breath to calm yourself. ‘But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; my soul is like the weaned child that is with me” Psalms 131:2

Take a ‘time out’; a day off, along weekend, or an extended vacation. Enjoy your favorite sport or hobby. “This is what I have seen to be good; it is fitting to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the tail with which one toils under the sun the few days of the life God gives us; for this is our lot.” Ecclesiastes 5:18

You can steel yourself against stress by taking good care of yourself physically. Eat a balanced diet and get adequate rest and exercise. “you shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be happy; and it shall go well with you.” Psalms 128:2

Avoid using drugs and alcohol to help your stress. Substances like this deal with the symptoms of stress, not the cause. “wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise. Proverbs 20:1

If you have trouble relaxing, you might want to learn some relaxation skills. Many books and tapes teach techniques that induce calm. “better is a handful with quiet than two handfuls with toil, and a chasing after wind’ Ecclesiastes 4:6

Summon your strength and reach out to trusted friends. Let them energize you and support you. “But I trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.’ Psalms 13:5

God is with you, feeling your stress and helping to strengthen you. Find the peace and rest that comes from giving God your burdens. “I will both lie down and sleep in peace; for you alone, O Lord make me lie down in safety.’ Psalms 4:8

The worse stress can turn to our long-term advantage. Stress alerts us to the fact that something is amiss in our life. It is a symptom or clue that something that matters to us is being threatened.’ James 1:4
Becoming aware of and attuned to stress is a good way to get to know ourselves. We can’t remedy ills that we’re unaware of. ‘for nothing is hidden that will not be disclosed, nor Is anything secret that will not become known and come to light’ Luke 8:17

Stop and realize you have a choice in how to respond. Reflect on the situation. Then choose a strategy for handling the stress. ‘my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance.’ James 1:2-3

Stress is determined not so much by what happens to us, as by how we respond to life’s challenges. ‘whoever digs a pit will fall into it, and a stone will come back on the one who starts it rolling’ Proverbs 26:27

Sink your roots of faith deep. When we reach the bedrock of our own deepest beliefs, we find strength to live according to our own truth rather than external standards. ‘the lord is my strength and my might, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God , and I will exalt him.’ Exodus 15:2

Think of your life as a pie with five slices; God, family, work, self, and community. None of these pieces should be missing; strive for balance. “they are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper.’ Psalms 1:3

Take time to play. Take a nature walk. Lose yourself in an enjoyable pursuit. Do something silly with a child. Let yourself laugh and have fun. ‘be glad in the lord and rejoice, o righteous and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.’ Psalms 32:11

Search for meaning in your life and work. What matters to you? What do you stand for? Line your life up to support your true purpose and priorities. “from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find him if you search after him with all your heart and soul.’ Deuteronomy 4:29

Make room in your life for people you can let your guard down with and have a few laughs, exchange a few stories, and , on occasion, shed a few tears. ‘you will surely wear yourself out, both you and these people with you. For the task is too heavy for you; you cannot do it alone.’ Exodus 18:18

Try keeping a journal as a way to reflect on your life and clarify your hopes, frustrations, fears, and aspirations. ‘answer me when I call, O God of my right. You gave me room when I was in distress. Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.’ Psalms 4:1

Get down on your knees and acknowledge that there’s a power greater than yourself and a meaning beyond the confines of your own life.’ I will give them a heart to know that I am the Lord; and they shall be my people and I will be their God, for they shall return to me with their whole heart.’ Jeremiah 24:7

Determine if your stress is primarily external or internal. If it’s external, you may need to make a change in your situation. If it’s internal, you may need to shift your attitude. ‘I the Lord test the mind and search the heart, to give to all according to their ways, according to the fruit of their doings.’ Jeremiah 17:10

You can reduce external stress simply by doing few things. It’s okay-indeed necessary at times- to turn down requests for your time or energy. ‘I am not at ease, nor am I quiet, I have no rest; but trouble comes.’ Job 3:26

Ask for help from others before you get to the point of being overwhelmed. Be specific about what you need. Don’t assume that it won’t get done.’ Ask and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. Matthew 7:7

Learn to handle stress well and you will live a life that’s happier, holier, and more effective, and more rewarding in every way. ‘happy are those who find wisdom, and those who get understanding.’ Proverbs 3:13

No comments: