Monday, January 03, 2011

2011 - Welcome the New Year!

New Year Resolutions - everyone has an idea of what they 'should' do (or not do). Lose weight, exercise more, eat less, quit smoking, read more, the list goes on and on. For me, resolutions have become such a mighty feat of will, I'm defeated before I even begin. So I'm trying something new this year. A year of gratitude - one day at a time. I have lots of ways I can express gratitude - journaling my blessings at night, texting friends to share what I'm thankful for, and writing short notes to people in my life. I'm most excited to write the letters. I've always enjoyed expressing myself through words, but I rarely seem to take the time to do it. I may not do this perfectly in 2011, but even if I miss here or there, it's more than I've done before. Like the dad said to his son when questioned whether the son should try out for the football team: "Son, I understand you're afraid of defeat, but you're already not on the team. So if you try out and don't make it, what have you lost? You can't be more 'not on the team' than you are right now." I am not on the New Year Resolutions Team, but what can it hurt to try? Who knows, maybe I'll succeed. But even if I don't have a perfect resolution, I'll have done more than I was doing before. That makes it all worth while.

No comments: