Saturday, February 27, 2016

Thankful Thursday - reminders

Picture this.

I'm on my hand and knees carefully running my palm over the carpet in my room.  I'm desperately feeling for the back to my earring.  Naturally, it's a small, clear back for dangling earrings and I have a cream white carpet. Not a good combination.  As I'm tamping down my frustration, trying to decide how much time I really should spend looking for this, a bible story comes to mind.  The woman who lost a coin:

"Or what woman having ten coins and losing one would not light a lamp and sweep the house, searching carefully until she finds it?"  ~Luke 15:8

I glance around and think, 'No way am I moving everything in this room!'  The room isn't that big, but not for a single, replaceable earring back.  It's not worth it.  And yet, I am reminded that when either I or another person is lost, God would overturn everything to bring us home.  

"And when she does find it, she calls together her friends and neighbors and says to them, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.’ In just the same way, I tell you, there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”  ~Luke 15:9-10

The situation makes me smile.  How many opportunities do we have to see and know God in our daily lives, even in the small, pointless stuff like missing earrings backs, and yet we can be oblivious.  God is everywhere, in everything, and we are on the biggest treasure hunt of our lives.  
Will you find the prize before it's too late?

Prayer:  Lord, open our eyes to see You in our everyday lives.  Open our ears to hear You beckoning us closer.  Open our heart to Your love, as it is the root of our lives.  Draw us ever closer to you, especially in the little things.

P.S.  This is a bonus Thankful Thursday - a picture with my Dad after we went to the fish fry.  One of the advantages of my new location - being able to do things together 'just because'.  Including selfies :-)

No comments: