Thursday, May 11, 2017

Thankful Thursday - A New Normal

One month,

Thirty days,

Seven hundred twenty hours,

Four hundred thirty-two thousand minutes,

Two million, five hundred ninety-two thousand seconds,

Since life entered a new normal.

But who's counting?


It's been one month since Mom entered into her eternity.  This is a journey I've known I would travel, but it's not one for which you can completely prepare.  There is a hole in my heart that only God and time can heal, and I'm sometimes scared of healing, afraid that I might forget.  There have been so many thoughts, experiences, emotions, and words running in my brain the last three months - ever since the final leg of Mom's earthly journey began.  Yet, during that journey I had been unable to express myself.  I decided today was a good day to try again.

I don't have words of wisdom, or profound teachings to impart.  Rather, I have a new appreciation of compassion, of kind words, of hugs and tears, and loving support.  I do not claim to know your grief, as each person's journey is different, but I will cry with you, as many of you have done for me.  I also see a change in my life concerning priorities and how I spend my time.  Time is a true gift, and I hope I don't lose sight of that.

I find comfort in many ways - Mass, meditation, music, reading, cards, phone calls, messages, and spending time with my Dad.  I am very grateful for the support I have received and continue to receive; this is what Christian Community is about.

Tonight, my grief is my prayer.  No words are necessary for God to understand.  I cling to God's hand, safe in His embrace.

No storm can shake my inmost calm, while to that Rock I'm clinging.  Since Love is Lord of Heaven and Earth; how can I keep from singing?

Sarah Hart - Sample only:

Buy Sarah's version here.


Spirit & Song version:


My life flows on in endless song
Above earth’s lamentation
I hear the clear, tho’ far-off hymn
That hails a new creation

No storm can shake my inmost calm
while to that Rock I'm clinging
Since Love is Lord of Heaven and Earth,
how can I keep from singing?

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing
It finds an echo in my soul
How can I keep from singing?


No storm can shake my inmost calm
while to that Rock I'm clinging
Since Love is Lord of Heaven and Earth,
how can I keep from singing?


The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart
A fountain ever springing
All things are mine since I am His
How can I keep from singing?

No storm can shake my inmost calm
while to that Rock I'm clinging
Since Love is Lord of Heaven and Earth,
how can I keep from singing?

No comments: