Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Becoming like my mother

When I was younger, I was very shy and quiet. I'm most definitely an introvert, but it was very obvious then. I preferred reading or dreaming or playing piano to playdates. I was my own best companion. So it astounded me to no end to see my mother hugging complete strangers and greeting people as if they were family. When I was a little older (probably a teenager), I would cringe when my mom would strike up a conversation with someone at a store, or chat with someone on the street. I would have preferred to blend into the background. As I grew older, and became a little less reserved, I began to think that my destiny was complete - I was going to turn into my mother whether I wanted to or not - it was inevitable. At that time, I didn't like the idea. It scared me to be that far out of my comfort zone (looking back now - I didn't know why at the time).

Today, I still struggle with my own reservations and fears. I get caught up in myself and forget to see others as Jesus does. Tonight, I greeted people I didn't know, and didn't worry about myself. I focused on them, and I tried to be welcoming and courteous, as any Christian should. And when I got home afterwards, I realized that it was a lot easier to open myself to strangers when I did it for God instead of worrying about my comfort zone or my feelings. That's when I also realized that if I truly believe in God's love, and I live accordingly, it makes everything else fall into place - introverted nature and all.

No comments: