Saturday, March 05, 2016

Thankful Thursday 3/3/16 - The Unexpected

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:13

So, my Thursday started like any other day.  Lots to do at work.  Go to Mass.  Stop to visit my parents.  Eat supper with them.  Fracture my foot on my way out the door.  The usual routine.  Wait . . . . What???  

Well, I took the 2nd last step as if I were on the bottom step, and down I went.  The irony is, we worry about my parents tripping and falling, and I"m the one who fell!  Oops.  The doctor says I'm in the boot for now and he wants to see me in 10 days.  

Well, that certainly wasn't part of MY plan.  I just attended a healing Mass the night BEFORE!  Rotten timing.  Just another reminder that I'm not in charge :-)!

I'll admit, I have a history of crazy foot injuries.  Well, only 2, but they are unique.  The time I stepped on a pork chop bone when I was a kid (this is when you gave food bones to your dogs on the farm and they left them all over) and it punctured my shoe and foot and I had to get a tetanus shot.  Or the time I sprained both of my ankles at once when I was first out of college, living by myself (I blame my platform shoes).  Stairs were especially challenging.  Talk about being immobile!  


My independent side wants me to tough this out - I'm not helpless, I can manage.  I'm slow, but I'll get there.  My pride doesn't want to ask for help or put others out.  I can get my own ice pack or water or whatever.  That may be true from a secular viewpoint, but God is asking for my complete dependence on Him, and now I have a real-life opportunity to experience dependence.  I'm not as helpless as a baby, and the novelty is there . . . . For the first 24 hours, maybe.  Then we get into the nitty gritty, repetitive asking.  I can't drive - I can't easily navigate stairs - I can't put much weight on my foot, even with the boot.  It sounds negative, but the reality is God is showing me how to depend on Him through my dependence on my family, friends, and co-workers.  I also need to remember that my pride and stubbornness would deprive others of the opportunity to serve.  I may not like being in need because it means I'm not in control (truth), but at the same time this gives someone else an opportunity to live their Christianity in service.  We all like to give, but it's just as important to be able to receive.  

The other aspect of this injury is the opportunity to embrace suffering, especially during Lent.  Once the swelling went down, my discomfort has lessened, and it's more about staying off of my foot so it can heal.  So my pain is manageable and the word 'suffering' doesn't really apply.  The limitations are probably more 'painful' then the injury itself.  I'm reminded of what I take for granted every day.  Good health.  The ability to run up the stairs.  The ability to move without restraint.  Driving my car.  Freedom to do whatever I want.  None of this is life threatening, and I don't want to exude 'poor me'.  My plight is small potatoes when compared with so many terrible diseases, illnesses, and accidents.  Yet, I don't want to discount mine or anyone else's reality.  We all struggle, but our crosses are the right ones for each of us.  I believe that how we respond to smaller setbacks helps us prepare or 'train' for the bigger ones that are inevitable.  So, when the novelty of my injury wears off and I'm bored or frustrated or tired, I have a choice.  A choice to offer it up.  A choice to be grateful for what I had and what I hopefully will have again.  A reminder to be more mindful of the present, living in the moment, and glorifying God through it all, including the rough spots.  I'm also called to unite my suffering with Jesus on the cross.  As we heard at the healing Mass, sometimes our suffering is not taken away, despite our prayers.  Why?  Well, God might be asking us to unite ourselves with Christ, whether it's a big or small cross.  Our pain doesn't have to be literal (broken bones) or extreme (cancer) to give us the opportunity to live in solidarity with Christ.  I suspect that living in that awareness has a pretty powerful impact on our lives.  It would probably help me keep from losing my temper, or gossiping, or lying, etc.  After all, isn't it our goal to be in communion with Christ?  That sounds like Heaven to me (pun intended) :-)

Life is short, and tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us.  This was emphasized when I heard of a 16 year old girl who was killed in a single car, rollover accident early Friday morning.  Reminding me of my niece, Tasha, and the reality of life.  Life is not fair.  Tomorrow is not a certainty.  Why not prepare for your eternity now, before it's too late?

So, let's pray together, and mean it when we say, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."  Dependence on God is a necessity, not a luxury.  

Prayer:  Lord, you have blessed me with much, and now I have an opportunity to show my gratitude.  Help me to always be thankful in all things, on the good days and the bad.  May I say, and mean, the words of Job, "The Lord gives and the Lord takes away.  Blessed be the Lord."

No comments: