Sunday, May 15, 2016

Pentecost 2016

Happy Birthday, Church!

Today we celebrate the Feast of Pentecost.  We wear red to signify the tongues of fire that descended upon the apostles.  We also get to sing a sequence.  The sequence is only required on certain feasts, Pentecost being one of them.  The sequence is used to increase the solemnity of the feast, while allowing us to further explore the celebration.  Think of it as extra frosting of our already delicious Mass!  

As I was anticipating the Mass today, I read my book study commentary.  This sentence really stood out, "The strength of our love for Jesus is the measure of how well we keep his commandments and word, how well we care for each other."  Read it again.  "The strength of our love for Jesus is the measure of how well we keep his commandments and word, how well we care for each other."  I don't know why it struck me this particular time, as it's not a new message by any means.
"He said to them, 'You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.  This is the greatest and the first commandment.  The second is like it:  You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"  ~Matthew 22:36-46


Maybe it was the new perspective on a message I 'thought' I knew?  We all know we are supposed to follow the commandments and God's Word.  We know all about the Golden Rule.  But something shifted, for me, when I consider that I demonstrate my love (or lack thereof) for Jesus by my actions.  I've been reviewing my priorities a lot, recently, and I'm occasionally caught off-guard by my actions.  For example, it used to be very difficult for me to get my tithing contribution ready ahead of Mass.  Yes, I did bank withdrawls for convenience, but I believe there is an aspect of physically writing out a check and preparing the envelope for Mass that draws us deeper into what we are doing.  Also, the action of physically sharing in the actions - holding the basket as it passes, or placing your contribution in the plate - that not only reinforces the importance of the action with our peers, but also  connects us in a deeper awareness of the liturgy and the offering of our lives.  So, today at Mass, I had my envelopes ready and was briefly reflecting on how my priority had changed.  I wasn't scrambling at the last minute to make a donation; it was a given that I would be contributing, as it is important to me to support my church.  So, coupled with my priority review, I was captivated by the concept of measuring my love for God.  I don't follow the commandments or God's word like I should.  I fail and fall and mess up constantly.  Does that mean I don't love Jesus?

After all, if I truly have my priorities straight, my efforts and energy would be on pleasing God.  Naturally, because I'm human and living in a fallen world, I'm going to fail, which means going to the Sacrament of Reconciliation, getting up and trying again.  But just like I had to work on my tithing priority, I can (and should) also work on my love of Jesus by keeping His commandments and word, and caring for others.  As in most things, I can improve.  Thankfully, I am gifted with the Holy Spirit to guide and strengthen me.  As we celebrate Pentecost, consider where you might need the gifts of the Spirit, and ask specifically for that grace.

Prayer:  Lord, You know all, and have chosen to remain with us always, through the Holy Spirit.  Help us to open our hearts to the gifts offered as we strive to reach Heaven.  Keep us close to You always.  Amen.    

No comments: