Monday, February 03, 2014

Connections

I just finished reading an inspiring book, "The First Phone Call From Heaven" by Mitch Albom.  Read my review here.  It was a neat book, and it brought to mind my recent experience at a funeral.

A friend lost a family member after battling chronic illness.  The death wasn't unexpected, but it was sudden.  The funeral service was on a weekend, and I was able to attend.  I didn't know the deceased, but I wanted to be there for my friend.  As the service began, the pastor spoke of Psalm 23, hope and healing, John 3:16, and many more verses of comfort.  It was an uplifting service, and it reminded me what a blessing it is to believe in Heaven.  My own experiences with death and loss are softened because I know this is not the end.  Grief is still present, and loss is very real, but hope outweighs all of it.


I was particularly struck by a heated exchange between two characters of the book.  It went like this:
"You're giving them false hope."
"What is false about hope?"
Hope.  Such a simple word, packed with potential.  Is there anything more tenuous, powerful, or life-altering then hope?  We are given hope.  Every day we wake up has the promise of new beginnings.  We have hope of eternal life.  We have hope in a God that is greater than death.  And so it is with funerals.  Although they are sad, and many tears are shed, we ultimately believe in hope.  We pick songs that speak of hope, readings that give us hope, we express hope in our memories of our beloved dead.
"'For I know the plans that I have for you,' says the LORD. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11
Prayer - Lord, help me to hold on to hope, in good times and in bad times.  Some days will be easier than others.  On the hard days, hold me close and help me remember that You are always there.

No comments: