Thursday, October 23, 2014

Thankful Thursday 10/23/14 - Fog

We recently had a few mornings with a beautiful fog blanketing the world.  Fog intrigues me; I think it appeals to my introverted nature - the appearance of utter stillness.  My soul resonates with the opportunity to feel as if I am one with the earth.  Perhaps it is also the seeming peacefulness that appeals to me.  Who doesn't want peace or a time to just be?  In our busy world, still is a rarity and calm is a four-letter word (pun intended).

Yet what strikes me the most about fog is how much fog is like change.  Think of it this way:  fog hides things from us, we cannot see the road ahead.  The future is obscured and the past is gone.  We can only function in the present, right where we are.  Now think of this in terms of change.  Sounds pretty similar to me.

Interestingly enough, I love fog, but I oftentimes dislike change.  Why is that?  Maybe I don't have a preconceived bias towards fog like I do change.  Bear with me.  Change generally gets a bad rap.  It's not usually easy, and even if it's for our own good, we tend to fight it.  It's easier to stay where we are, with what's comfortable, easy, and familiar.  I can't do that with fog.  It's not going to go away just because I want to see what's coming.  Maybe it's a control issue; I can't control the weather, but I "think" I can control change in my life.  Sometimes, yes.  More often, no.  So, when it comes to a foggy day, I embrace what is and appreciate the moment.  Sounds like a good suggestion to follow when facing changes.  There are going to be many more foggy days, both physical and metaphorical, and maybe, if I try to embrace what is, I can appreciate the journey as well.      

No comments: