Saturday, October 12, 2013

28th Sunday in Ordinary Time

http://usccb.org/bible/readings/101313.cfm

Quick recap:
1st reading - 2 Kings - Naaman was cleansed of leprosy
Psalm 98 - The Lord has revealed to the nations his saving power.
Epistle - 2 Timothy - God will ALWAYS be faithful
Gospel - Luke 17 - ten lepers ask for healing, but only one returns to give thanks

Giving thanks is what it's all about.  In the first reading, once Naaman finally did what Elisha directed, Naaman was cured.  He recognized this healing and praise the God of Israel.  In the Gospel, it is the foreigner who returns and gives thanks for his healing.  Jesus' comments highlight the sense of entitlement that the other nine lepers had; they didn't feel the need to give thanks.

One year, when I was participating in the Busy Person's Retreat at the Newman Center, I was speaking with my spiritual director about something that was done for me.  After I finished recounting the situation and how much I appreciated being included, I was asked if I thanked them.  I paused, unsure of how to respond.  She continued, saying something that has stuck with me, and which, I think, ties in to this Gospel.  'If you don't express your gratitude, how will that person know?  If you want someone to repeat an action (in my case, an invitation), you need to tell them thank you.'  I still try to follow this directive, not from a greedy viewpoint that I want more, but rather in the sense that others can't read my mind.  If I don't verbalize my gratitude, they may not repeat the action.  Examples include anything from holding the door, putting something away, or even showing appreciation for something that is part of their 'job'.  Gratitude doesn't cost anything, it lightens everyone's burdens, and it makes the world a happier place in that moment in time.

In Living Liturgy 2013, we read that, "gratitude is an expression of faith."  I think we must cultivate an awareness in order to express gratitude.  And when we express gratitude, we are acknowledging God's blessings, both in and of themselves and through those in our lives.  Try it - you might like it!

Prayer - God, Your gifts are boundless and Your love is beyond comprehension.  Help us to cultivate an attitude of gratitude.  We have so much for which we can give thanks.  May we continue to see the blessings all around us.

No comments: