Sunday, September 07, 2014

23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time - integrity

http://usccb.org/bible/readings/090714.cfm 

Quick recap:
1st Reading - Ezekiel - we must avoid sin and lead others away from sin
Psalm 95 - If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Epistle - Romans 13 - "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
Gospel - Matthew 18 - our responsibility is to love others and to help them

With everything that has been going on this past week, I didn't get my usual preparation time, so today I'm going to borrow from the homilies I heard.  Two words stuck out in our teaching - integrity and authenticity.  We are called to be true to ourselves at all times, no matter where we are or with whom.

in·teg·ri·ty   inˈtegritē/   noun
1.the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness. "he is known to be a man of integrity"
synonyms: honesty, probity, rectitude, honor, good character, principle(s), ethics,morals, righteousness, morality, virtue, decency, fairness,scrupulousness, sincerity, truthfulness, trustworthiness
"I never doubted his integrity"
2.the state of being whole and undivided. "upholding territorial integrity and national sovereignty"
synonyms: unity, unification, coherence, cohesion, togetherness, solidarity
"the integrity of the federation"

au·then·tic     ôˈTHentik/    adjective
1.of undisputed origin; genuine.  "the letter is now accepted as an authentic document"
synonyms: genuine, real, bona fide, true, veritable; More

The best way that I know how to be an authentic person of integrity is to be the best version of myself.  This means acting with integrity when I'm in a group AND when no one is watching.  This means be genuine in my actions towards others, reaching out to them in love.  Most importantly, this means I hold myself accountable first and foremost.  My actions will reflect the reality of my life.  If I mean what I say, then it should show in my works.  Through today's Scripture, we are called to open our lives to God's commands, especially, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."  We have a responsibility to our soul and to the souls of those around us to live a life of integrity and authenticity.  We are all in this together.

Prayer - Lord, thank you for the gift of love.  Help me to live that love out every moment of every day.  I know some days I will and do struggle.  May I not take Your love for granted.  Show me how to share Your love with others.

No comments: