Saturday, February 14, 2015

Be My Valentine - You Are Mine

No, I'm not talking about a valentine's phrase, exactly, although it could certainly be God's valentine to us.  I'm referring to a song we often sing at church.  It was actually my penance after celebrating the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and it was absolutely perfect.  Let me explain.

First, a note about the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  It really gets a bad rap.  If you have not had a a wonderful, positive, freeing experience with that Sacrament, you need to go again.  It is absolutely beautiful.  Let's set aside the discussion on confessing sins to a priest and focus on the deeper purpose:  reconciliation with God.



Think about a time when you were at odds with someone important in your life.  Maybe it wasn't your fault, maybe you both made mistakes, but either way, you couldn't see eye to eye.  During the time of conflict, you might have felt uneasy, angry, hurt, frustrated, or any other number of emotions.  It was messy and upsetting and painful.  Or perhaps you tried to numb yourself to the pain and attempted (pretended) to move on.  There are so many techniques we can use to deflect, ignore, or bury the problem.  Whether we admit it or not, if we don't deal with this 'baggage', it only weighs us down.  We carry it from relationship to relationship, both spiritually and emotionally.  Our physical health can even be impacted.  I don't need scientific studies or counseling gurus to tell me this is the case; I know it to be true.  Human life is messy.  Add in a big dose of sin, and we do a lot of dumb things.

So now let's look at our relationship with God.  God loves us, more than we can fathom.  Just think about that.  We cannot possibly comprehend (verb - grasp mentally; understand) the depths of God's love for each one of us.  A recent discussion in my bible study touched on this.  We had been talking about being unworthy or using that as an excuse to back away from God.  Someone commented that we should all be walking around with big smiles because God loves us.  (Wouldn't that be lovely?)  They asked why don't we do that?  Perhaps, another responded, because deep down we don't truly believe it.  (pause, and read that again.)  Perhaps, because deep down we don't truly believe it. Is that true?  Do I  say that 'God loves me, but . . . . '  But what?!  Only when I'm good or only if I repent or only if I follow His commands?  No.  No.  NO.  God's love does not have an expiration date, best if used by xx/xx/xxxx.  It isn't fickle or seasonal or perhaps even rational!  It is, however, unconditional, meaning without limitations.  One of my favorite bible passages illustrates this so much better than I can:
 ". . . and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God."  ~Ephesians 3:17-19
Now, I would like you to think about a time when you received forgiveness.  Or maybe you granted forgiveness.  In its truest sense, sincere forgiveness is a beautiful thing.  What a relief it was to release the baggage that had been weighing you down.  If you have never experienced this, I urge you to reorient your life's priorities.  The Sacrament of Reconciliation, to me, is less about finger-pointing and number counting, and more about unity.  God desires us to be in relationship with Him.  God's love is constantly reaching out to us, but it is sin that turns us from God.  So, in this wonderful sacrament, God wipes away all barriers and we can once again remember the incomparable beauty of Our Father's love.  It's like sin gives us an anti-memory pill, and we forget how it felt to live in God's love.  That means we have to take a regular dose of this great sacrament, so we can negate the sinfulness that creeps into our lives and feeds us lies of doubt, hate, and shame.

So, now to my actual penance.  After naming my sins and struggles, I spoke the Act of Contrition.  It's a very powerful prayer when said with a true sense of penitence.  And then, what a gift.  God spoke to me, through our priest.  Such words of love; I was overwhelmed.  I was in tears at the beauty of that moment.  My struggles and sins were no more as God enveloped me in pure love.  How could I forget this?  Why would I hesitate to enter into this sacrament?  In that instant, I was perfectly reconciled with God.  Part of me wanted to stay right there, in the cold chapel, and bask in my experience.  The other (wimpier?) part knew that wasn't realistic.  For my penance, as you already know, I was told to meditate, speak, or sing "You Are Mine" by David Haas.  Check it out:

I will come to you in the silence
I will lift you from all your fear
You will hear My voice
I claim you as My choice
Be still, and know I am here

I am hope for all who are hopeless
I am eyes for all who long to see
In the shadows of the night,
I will be your light
Come and rest in Me

Chorus:
Do not be afraid, I am with you
I have called you each by name
Come and follow Me
I will bring you home
I love you and you are mine

I am strength for all the despairing
Healing for the ones who dwell in shame
All the blind will see, the lame will all run free
And all will know My name

Chorus:
Do not be afraid, I am with you
I have called you each by name
Come and follow Me
I will bring you home
I love you and you are mine

I am the Word that leads all to freedom
I am the peace the world cannot give
I will call your name, embracing all your pain
Stand up, now, walk, and live

Chorus:
Do not be afraid, I am with you
I have called you each by name
Come and follow Me
I will bring you home
I love you and you are mine

What a great message for all of us.  God desires to be first in our hearts.  Be God's Valentine this year :)

No comments: