Sunday, March 22, 2015

Prayer - just do it . . .

Prayer is a funny thing.  You never know what might happen when you pray.  It can be dangerous; you might end up changed.  Well, actually you should be changed, if you're doing it right.  There are many books and resources on prayer that can define and dissect this occurrence much better than I.  So I will stick with reflecting on personal experience and go from there.

If I stop to think about prayer, I would call it a conversation between God and I.  Except, if I'm being honest, my prayer tends to go one of two ways:  1 - my list of demands/requests/complaints/sorrows (depending on the day or my mood) or 2 - gratitude for blessings.  The part that is not equally represented is my time to listen to God.  See, both of the previous conversation types are pretty one-sided.  It's not that God doesn't want to hear my troubles or my joys; God wants it all.  Yet, to truly have a conversation, there needs to be listening on my side as well.  I really recognized this last Advent, and worked on prioritizing prayer time.  Like exercising, healthy eating, or building any good habit, it's hard.  It takes commitment; sometimes more commitment than I want to give.  I'm slowly growing in my awareness of this deficiency, which is big.  Isn't the first step admitting you have a problem?  :)

How do you hear God?  Could you recognize God's voice?  What does it sound like?

No comments: