Sunday, December 15, 2013

Reconciliation - it is a blessing

Today I participated in the reconciliation service.  I played piano, sang, prayed, and cried - it was wonderful!   I don't know what made this experience so moving.  I suspect there are many factors that came into play, so I'll try to share some here.

1 - It is Advent.  We keep hearing that this is the time of preparation.  We are in a season of waiting.  But this waiting isn't like the desert of Lent; we anticipate the celebration of Christmas and Christ's physical arrival to our world.  So while we are busy cleaning our homes for Christmas, we should also take time to clean our soul.  It just felt good to participate in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

2 - Bonus piece - it's Gaudete Sunday or Rejoice Sunday.  Since today happens to be the 3rd Sunday in Advent, we mark it with additional rejoicing.  We know Christmas is near, and we celebrate that we are over halfway through our waiting.  I think that just added an extra spirit of joy to the service.



3 - Focus on forgiveness.  I've recently connected with an amazing person who reminded me of the importance of forgiveness.  I think we easily forget what an impact forgiveness makes on our lives, both giving and receiving.  It is truly freeing to forgive.

4 - I played piano and sang.  "To sing well is to pray twice."  While I definitely agree with St. Augustine, music tends to be my favorite way to pray.  So, getting to really participate in the service today just made it much more alive.  I absolutely believe that full, conscious, and active participation is the only way to go; otherwise you are not getting everything you can.  Sure, there are days that I don't 'feel' like it, or my distractions overwhelm my focus, but today was a day that I meant what I sang and I sang what I meant.

5 - We used the Kyrie in our examination of conscience.  I was very aware of the Kyrie today.  I recently did a small blurb on why we use the Kyrie in the Mass, and it really stuck with me.  I found a document on www.usccb.org that explained the Kyrie.  It said that we are to confidently pray for God's mercy, because our God is a merciful and loving God.  God loves us!  Today, as we sang "Lord have mercy . . . " I prayed it differently than before.  Later, when I was preparing for individual confession, I realized that God wants me to confess my sins and ask for mercy because God wants to grant that mercy.  God wants me back, no matter what!  Nothing I can do would cause God to leave me.  I'm the one who steps away from God when I sin.

6 - I just watched 'It's a Wonderful Life'.  One of my favorite movies, especially at Christmas.  It was a reminder to appreciate the many, many blessings in my life, as well as recognize how my actions affect those around me.  When I am unkind, judgmental, impatient, rude, etc., I create a negative experience.  What's worse, it's easy to do this to those who are closest to us.  Like George Bailey, I got the gift of a fresh start today (and I will need many more, I know).

7 - The Holy Spirit was a-movin'.  "Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in their midst."  Matthew 18:20.  It is important to regularly receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation, which is usually done at appointed times or before a Mass.  Generally speaking, you don't have a communal service just any time.  So most of the time, the sacrament is received without much fanfare or without a large group present.  But having so many people present, also seeking to reconcile with God, was a great experience.  It not only reinforced the importance of what we were doing, but also led to a powerful prayer movement.  We were all gathered together, asking for God's mercy in our lives.  If the graces of the Spirit were visible colors, you would likely have seen a thousand rainbows today.  Uniting our prayers for a common goal is a powerful experience.

8 - We closed with the song "On Jordan's Bank".  After experiencing the Sacrament of Reconciliation, it was great to be able to sing and mean the 2nd verse:
Then cleansed be every soul from sin, Make straight the way of God within, Prepare we in our hearts a home, where such a mighty guest may come.
 As we sang that song, I could just feel the lightness of my soul.  It was such a gift to sing that right after the sacrament.  Tie that back to #1 & #2, plus the realization of God's mercy from #5, and wow!

No comments: