Saturday, December 21, 2013

Thankful Thursday 12/19 - The day I lost it

Ready or not, Christmas is almost here. So even though I inevitably have stress over some aspect of the holidays, I want to enjoy this season and immerse myself in its many gifts and blessings.
Therefore, I am thankful for the chaos that seems to go hand in hand with this time of year, if only because it signifies the bigger picture.

So, I have a little story about seeing the bigger picture.  It starts with a lovely lunch, visiting with friends.  We said our goodbyes, and slowly gathered up our gloves and coats since it was a bitter day.  I was the last to leave, and as I made my way to the door, I did the requisite check of phone, purse, keys.  Hmm, no keys.  I proceeded to check my coat pockets, purse, the booth where we sat, and my path in the building.  Nothing.  I walked to my car and peered inside - did they get locked in?  I couldn't tell.  Back inside, I asked if anyone had turned in some keys.  My mounting fear was proving true.  I was stuck.  My frantic prayers to St. Anthony were not providing instant results.  Trying not to panic, I called my brother and asked for a ride.  He came and got me, and we got my spare house key from his house, and then my spare car key from my house and returned to the scene.


Of course, all of this takes much more time in reality than it does on the page, and I was feeling bad for causing this inconvenience.  He was very gracious and assured me that my keys likely fell down between the seats when I exited the car.  I unlock my car, using my spare keys, and I don't find my keys.  After much searching underneath seats and throughout the car, we determine that I'll have to leave me name and number and hope they find the keys in the restaurant.  I started thinking about my schedule and how things were not lining up.  Not only was I an hour behind, but I would have to come back once the found my keys (if they found them, which started additional worries in my mind).  I go back inside, and there are my keys.  I don't know what happened to them, but I was so thankful to see them.

I admit that I felt a little sheepish when I got back in my car.  Part of me felt like I just hadn't looked hard enough.  The other part thanked St. Anthony profusely.  I proceeded to call my parents and tell them about my escapade.  After our quick chat, I asked for a blessing (which is customary when I call), and we ended the call.  I had a rather productive afternoon, even with the distractions, and I was pretty pleased.  After work, I had a music practice, and as I drove home after that, I remember thinking over the day.  I even started formulating how I could use it on here.

I thought my crazy day was done.  Not quite.

A little later in the evening, I got a phone call from my mom - Dad was at the ER because he had been coughing up blood.  That news left me frozen.  I wasn't sure what to think or do.  After we hung up, I started texting prayer requests and I got busy packing, just in case my Christmas break started sooner than I planned.  A friend called me and asked how I was doing.  I just started crying.  She offered to come over and wait with me, which I gladly accepted.  It was scary, not knowing what was happening and how serious it was.  After some time, we started hearing details that the bleeding was in his sinus and his lungs were clear.  What a blessing!  At one point in our waiting, I said something about how hard it is to wait.  I recounted my adventure with my keys and mused how that seemed so insignificant now.  I thought about perspective and how things can change in a moment.

We finally got the news that they were heading home, and things looked okay.  I felt exhausted and ready to run a race, all at the same time.  I knew I had to write this all down, but I couldn't focus.

Fast forward to the next morning.  I had a full day ahead, but I was excited to get to work.  I'm in my first meeting of the day when I get a text that Dad was bleeding again, and they were heading to see his doctor.  Maybe it was the fact that I had work to focus on, but I wasn't as panicked.  I think things seem worse at night, in the dark, than they do during the day.  And I knew a little more about what was happening.  I requested more prayers, and kept going.  Once again, Dad got the all clear - bleeding was stopped and he had a list of restrictions and admonitions.  When I finally got to talk to him, I jokingly asked him what he thought he was doing?  His response:  "I'm getting rejuvenated."  I suggested that he just try a spa next time - much more relaxing!

I guess the moral of this saga was the gift of prayer.  The incident with the keys got me off track, and I almost failed to pray and work within God's plan.  The news of my Dad's bleeding was obviously much bigger stakes, but I was able to seek support from prayers of friends and family.  So I'm taking this as a lesson to continue to practice prayer in every situation, big or small.  If you're still reading, I would invite you to reflect on a time where you might have 'lost it' (whatever 'it' may be).  Did you pray?  How could things have gone differently?  I hope that I don't have another experience like this anytime soon, but if I should, I hope that I don't become so distracted that I forget to pray.

Prayer - Lord, You are always present with us, and we need only to ask and we shall receive.  Help us to converse with You always, during the good and bad times.  Help us know Your love, which is beyond all telling.    

No comments: