Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Ash Wednesday 2014

The beginning of Lent as arrived.  A season of renewal, a time for alms-giving, prayer, and fasting.  Most people think of it as the period of no-meat (at least on Fridays).  I've had many various attitudes towards Lent, but I think I'm getting closer to the real meaning.  

Lent is not a punishment, rather it is an opportunity.  Just like hard work and exercise - you will get out of it what you put into it.  It is a time for us to stop and really think about what is happening and what we will celebrate at Easter.  Jesus Christ died for our sins, but it is with our daily acceptance of this gift and our willingness to participate with God's will that our faith is truly lived.  

Tasha - 2011

Me - 2014

Today we get the outward sign of our faith in the form of ashes, but for the next 40 days, we need to internalize this faith so that our very being is an outward sign of our faith.  

Prayer - Lord, thank you for this time of renewal.  Help me to go deeper in my relationship with You.  If I am lost, call me back; if I am discouraged, lift me up; if I am distressed, soothe my fears.  Help me know that You want me just as I am, right now.  Perfection need not apply.

No comments: