Friday, March 07, 2014

Thankful Thursday 3/6/14

I am thankful for liturgical music.  I enjoy most music, and I am so grateful for the opportunity to praise God through music.  It is always exciting for me when we are studying the Sunday scriptures, and I read something that triggers a song.  Sometimes, though I get to ponder a bit on the message because there are several songs that convey the theme.  And since composers keep composing, I'm not sure that I will ever catch up with all of the possible combinations.  Regardless, I'm enjoying the challenge.

For example, in the Gospel for the first Sunday of Lent, we hear about Jesus being led by the spirit.  Guess what?!  There is a song called, "Led By the Spirit".  If you take a moment to listen to an excerpt here, you see the parallel made between Jesus' time in the desert and our Lenten journey.  So, not only do we get to sing a song at Mass that reminds us of the Gospel, we can also proclaim our unity with Jesus if we sing the song with conviction.

Bottom line, I truly agree with St. Augustine, "He who sings well prays twice."  Amen.

No comments: