Sunday, March 30, 2014

Brokenness

Lent is a great time to slow down and consider what we truly believe.  I attended a reconciliation service, and as we entered the church, we were given a piece of a tree branch (pictured below).  We were told that the branch came from the tree branch in the sanctuary.  The piece was to remind us that in our sinfulness we are broken, and our brokenness affects those around us.  But together, all of our pieces unite as the Body of Christ.  



Father commented that he wouldn't make us find the pieces that fit on either side of our piece, but that got me thinking.
For the most part, I'd considered my sins and mistakes to be about me.  Today, I realized that, like my faith journey, my sinfulness impacts the world around me.  Similar to the piece of branch, I connect with others, and when I sin, my sin impacts more than just me.  I don't say this out of pride, but out of the discovery that when I profess my belief in the Body of Christ, I am also admitting that my actions can affect this body, both positively and negatively.

Yikes.  I'm not sure that I am ready for that kind of knowledge.  It's much easier to stay in the realm of myself.  Yet, if we let go of our fear and listen to Jesus, we know we are called to be more.  We are called to grow outside of ourselves, our comfort zone, and our sinfulness.  It's not always easy.  Actually, I'd say it's never easy if we attempt to tackle this on our own.  Only God can help us grow, and that is only possible when we are connected to Him and each other, like a vine or tree.  

So before you think your mistakes and sinfulness impact just you, remember that we are all connected.  Thankfully, we are connected to a loving and merciful God who desires us more than words can say.  

Prayer - Lord, thank you for never giving up on me, even when I give up on myself.  Help me to see that You love me, no matter what.  As a member of Your Body, I am connected to countless others.  Help me to honor them by living humbly, loving freely, showing compassion, and acting with justice.  

No comments: