Sunday, May 18, 2014

My bladder has good ears

I've been delinquent in my posting, so I thought I'd get a quick post out.  Yes, my bladder has good ears.  How is that possible?  Well, it's the only logic I can derive from this morning's actions.  I am visiting friends, and I was sleeping very soundly this morning.  I woke up, and at first I wasn't sure why.  My brain was still fuzzy and my body liked the comfortable bed.  My bladder, however, had other plans.  Someone got up to use the bathroom, and as they went back to bed, I heard the door click.  I think my bladder seized that opportunity to get me up and moving (ready or not) to empty said bladder.  Mission accomplished, and all I wanted to do was crawl back into bed.  Unfortunately, my brain wasn't cooperating.  It started thinking about the opportunity for some quiet time, the noisy bird outside that probably would keep me awake anyway, and the chance to get a blog post up.  Before complete mutiny spread, I compromised and climbed into my comfy bed with my digital device to type this post.  After all, who wouldn't be intrigued by a post title such as this?

All kidding aside, I found some interesting parallels in this morning's events.  I had two valid options - go back to bed or get up and start my day (albeit earlier than I had planned).  I decided to take the route of unexpected gifts.  We heard a great homily yesterday, and it talked about our response to death.  More specifically, what we would do if we knew we would die in a few hours.  Ultimately, it was suggested that our lives should be lived in a way that if we knew our death was only a few hours away, we would continue with what we were doing.  Meaning, that ideally we would be living each day as if it were our last, so our knowledge of our death wouldn't change anything.  We would already be living and doing things that were important to us.  That really resonated with me.  I couldn't help but thinking about the song, "Live Like You Were Dying".  It helps me keep the minor frustrations and inconveniences that can overwhelm me in perspective.  Life is too short, too fleeting to get wrapped up in unimportant details.  My relationships, the health of my soul, and my ability to forgive should be much higher on my to-do list.  

Question:  What would you do if you found out you only had a few hours to live?  If you asked yourself this each day, how would your life change?

Prayer:  Lord, thank you for reminders to focus on the important things.  Help me to use these opportunities to grow closer to You.  

No comments: