Thursday, May 22, 2014

Thankful Thursday 5/22/14

Today I'm thankful for many things, but especially for the realization that all aspects of life can praise God.

For a long time, I've been under the impression that only the great, grand, and glorious stuff really counted.  Not that I thought God necessarily kept score (although, God wouldn't have to, He already know the outcome . . . right?  Just sayin').  I mean, when you heard on the news about the selfless actions of a stranger, or a heroic police officer, or a social worker who didn't give up, it was impressive.  I think subconsciously, I would consider those actions to be once-in-a-lifetime or out of the norm for someone like me.

I guess I'm a slow learner, because I'm beginning to realize that every action I do can be 'great, grand, and glorious' to God.  Whether it's washing laundry, filing papers, or standing in the grocery checkout line, I can be Christ-like.  Unlike the pitch on TV selling you something (for 3 easy payments of $29.95) that sounds too good to be true, this is possible.  In fact, it is incredibly simple, which is code for not easy.  Don't be fooled by the lack of fanfare surrounding this formula.  After all, when has something that is good for us been popular?  So, before you keep riding the thought wagon of 'I'm-never-going-to-do-something-amazing-for-the-world-to-admire-so-I'd-better-give-up-and-watch-TV,' consider a new motto.  How about one of the following:

All you need is love.

And now these three remain:  faith, hope, and love.  
But the greatest of these is love.  1 Corinthians 13:13

To love another person is to see the face of God.

Love is the beauty of the soul.

A new command I give you:  Love one another.  
As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  John 13:34

A heart that loves is always young.

What the world needs now is love, sweet love.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son 
that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.  John 3:16

No comments: