Wednesday, May 21, 2014

My letter from the Pope . . .

Pope Francis' first encyclical, Lumen Fidei (Light of Faith) was released July 2013.  An encyclical is a letter from the pope to a particular audience.  Lumen Fidei was addressed to 'the bishops, priests, and deacons, consecrated persons, and the lay faithful.'  So, that means we each got a letter from the Pope.  Have you read your letter yet?

Encyclicals are not really scary, other than maybe in their spelling and pronunciation.  I admit, I'm just now taking time to read it, and it's really good.  This particular encyclical was started by Pope Benedict as a part of the Year of Faith.  Pope Benedict had already written about the virtue of charity (Deus Caritas Est) and the virtue of hope (Spe Salvi).  I think the word encyclical has me pretty intimidated.  Why else would I stop myself from reading what our Popes have had to say on topics that they find particularly important?  I'm still learning, I guess.


One of the sections that really caught my attention was the comments about idolatry which was described as
". . . an aimless passing from one lord to another. . . . a plethora of paths leading nowhere and forming a vast labyrinth."
 What an apt description!  I had never considered the attitude of "entertain me" to be related to idolatry.  How can we make such demands?  Things like, 'I go to church to get fulfilled,' or 'I feel good when ________(fill in the blank).'  Yes, emotions are a part of our human experience, but faith is more than a feeling.  Think about the previous description of idolatry.  Is it, in fact, when we believe 'we' are in control and that 'we' call the shots?  That's not faith; that's convenience.  This letter is a call to live our faith.  Are you ready for the challenge?

Lukewarm need not apply.  

No comments: