Monday, December 15, 2014

Getting closer

It's less then a month from the start of my trip.  A lot can happen in that time.  I feel as though time will simultaneously crawl and fly.  Not sure how that could be possible, but that's just the sense I get.  I've already begun packing, or at least collecting the items I will need.

I have finished my 'guide book', Jesus: A Pilgrimage by Fr. James Martin.  Highly recommend.  It's like a pilgrimage without the hassle of travel!  I am diligently exercising for our tour, and I'm praying.  My prayer requests include the desire that this is a fruitful trip, and that I am open to God.

Advent has been a great time to prepare.  The anticipation that describes our Advent journey, certainly applies here.  I think my biggest challenge is/will be enjoying process before the trip even happens.  So many good things have come into my life already.  I've had an outpouring of prayer support, several conversations with people who have been there, and opportunities to share my faith with people of all faiths.  It's overwhelming and humbling all at once.
One of the most incredible parts of my preparation so far has been the prayer requests.  When I started telling friends and family, I offered to carry any prayer requests they had.  I was not prepared for the immense feeling of purpose I had when people shared their requests with me.  I was not prepared for the weight of responsibility that I felt.  My trip took on another dimension once I offered to be a messenger.  It's not that I believe God hears prayers better from the Holy Land, but the power of intercessory prayer became very apparent.  I have begun and continue to lift up the prayer requests as a part of my preparation.  It has also reminded me to identify my own prayers so I can recognize God's answer when it comes.

The journey continues, each day bringing me closer to one of my heart's desires.  Psalm 37:4 fits my thoughts so well right now, "Find your delight in the Lord who will give you your heart's desire."  
I hope to keep living this, long after I return from this pilgrimage.

Patience, prayer, and trust.

No comments: