Monday, December 15, 2014

Thankful Thursday 12/18/14

If you read about my recent automotive adventures here, you can appreciate that I am very thankful for my transportation.  This week it has included walking, riding my bike (painfully slow, perhaps), getting rides from friends, and ultimately having my own 'wheels' again!  The entire adventure was very interesting.  It was a great experience in reminding me to be grateful for things that I normally take for granted.  Being able to go to the grocery store when I want, for example.  Certainly not earth-shattering nor is that a life-and-death situation, but it is one instance where I forget how easy I have it.  It was always good to be in a situation where I had to ask for help.  Independence is ingrained in us, and praised from a young age, but good relationships require interaction.  It is good to give help, but it is also good, and sometimes harder, to receive help.  I believe it was God's grace that allowed me to have a mostly positive attitude about the experience. 

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  ~Jeremiah 29:11.  This verse speaks to me of the reality that even in the valleys, we have 'hope and a future'.  It's easy to forget this when life is easy, or things are going according to our plan.  Yet, it is in valleys, when we feel lost or overwhelmed, that we are even closer to God.  Our vulnerability opens us to God in ways that our success cannot. 

In this week before Christmas, may we keep the joy of Christmas first and foremost, so that whether our lives are in the peaks or valleys, we can wholeheartedly trust in God's promise. 

No comments: