Saturday, December 13, 2014

Unexpected adventures and tangled car parts

Today did not go the way I planned.  I fully appreciate the adage, "If you want to make God laugh, tell God your plans."  I always figured that applied to momentous decisions and important choices, not running errands and being productive.  My morning was good, I was getting things done around my house, making preparations for Christmas, and tying up various loose ends on projects and my to-do list.  In the afternoon I drove to the gym, which was apparently my first mistake.  See, my muffler has recently gone on strike, and I needed to get it in to be fixed.  The strike turned into a full-on mutiny when I returned home and re-entered my garage, by way of a two-inch height difference which makes my car bounce as I drive into the garage.  I am now the proud owner of a car with pieces in places they do not belong.  Lucky me!  So, that changed my plans to run errands, go to the post office, and get groceries.



A look in my fridge determined I would survive without groceries, but the other two places needed to be visited today.  Sigh.  What to do?  Well, I have a bicycle, so let's give that shot.  I like bike-riding, this should be easy.  An adventure, even.  Hmmm.  Well, the first step is getting my bike down via the pulley-system that tucks it up out of the way.  My attempt at a positive attitude was getting a serious blow, because I could not get my bike down!  Okay, now what?  I guess I can walk.  Sure!  It's not cold out, no big deal.  Might take a little longer, but that's okay.  Well, a quick look outside confirmed that the dampness from earlier turned into a lovely mist.  No worries, I got this.  But maybe I'll try once more to get my bike down.  And guess what!  It came down.  Well, actually it crashed down, but it was down, right?!  Grabbed my helmet, and looked for my bike lock.  Rats - no key.  Well, if someone steals my bike, I'll just walk home.  I'm not going to be deterred.

Two blocks from home, I realize that I have a low-ish tire, and I'm dressed in too many layers for a 50 degree ride, despite the mist.  Well, I'll go a little farther and then turn around if I need to.  I go farther, and my glasses are all dotted with moisture, my helmet is dripping into my eyes, and I question my sanity.  But, I've come this far, so what's a little more effort.  This is good for me, right?  I remember why I don't ride my bike so often, because I can't switch gears.  Great.  I get into a rhythm that definitely matched the tortoise - slow and steady.  I finally get to the store and walk in, a dripping mess.  I'm sure the clerk questioned my rational thinking ability when I mentioned that I rode my bike.  He looked at me and then carefully wished me a very safe ride home.  One place down, one to go.  I can do this.  Back on the bike, slow and steady.  I considered just heading home, but, hey, I'm already all wet and tired, so what's an extra mile?  Stop two complete, and homeward bound.  By this point, the rain stopped, so I could actually see - bonus!  I was relieved to get to my street, and I vowed to get a new bike or never ride the old one again.  I also promptly made arrangements to get a ride to church tomorrow as there was no way I would be riding my bike!

Now lest you think I am looking for pity or sympathy, consider this.  By the time I got home, I just wanted to dry off, eat, and pretend that this never happened.  But I was aware of the very real choice I had to be upset at this series of events or roll with the punches.  The outcome would be the same, but my attitude was up to me.  Life is not fair.  This may be a very minimal example of small problems, but the lesson applies the same:  attitude is a choice.  What would I have gained by complaining or crying or getting upset?  Nothing.  I would still have a car that's a tangled mess, errands to run, and groceries to buy.  I still have to figure out my car and get groceries, but there is a grace in being able to accept the lumps.  None of us will get out of this life alive, and I'd like to maximize the positive experience.  As we read in 2 Corinthians 12:9, "but he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.'  I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me."  Again, my experience today was a minor blip in the grand scheme, which suggests that today was a quiz.  I do not doubt that I will face many more challenging things, and I hope that with prayer, practice, and God's grace, I can face the worst and still proclaim that God's grace is enough.

No comments: