Sunday, November 23, 2014

Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe

http://usccb.org/bible/readings/112314.cfm

Quick recap:
1st Reading - Ezekiel
Psalm 23 - the Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
Epistle - 1 Corinthians - Christ is the firstfruits
Gospel - Matthew 25 - "Whatever you did for the least brothers of mine, you did for me."

What a great day to be Catholic! Today is the last Sunday of the liturgical year (yikes!) which means we celebrate Jesus as King of the Universe. There is so much that can be said of today's liturgy and Scripture, but I want to focus on the connection I made with a book I'm reading: Jesus: A Pilgrimage by Fr. James Martin. I have this as both an e-book and an audio book, so I can read or listen whenever I had time. Today I started on Chapter 21 - Golgotha. It was interesting to read about Jesus' Passion and Death (resurrection was in the next chapter) on the day we celebrate Jesus as King of the Universe. I felt that the timing of this was not coincidental. Hearing the details of the Crucifixion seemed especially striking, considering the Feast for today.


Yet, it is because of the Passion, Death, and Resurrection of Jesus that we have salvation. And the gift of salvation could only come from a King. So, even though they appear polar opposite, they are inextricably combined. I suppose some of my interest comes from my upcoming pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Reading about places that I might actually get to visit gives me a whole new anticipation and passion for studying Scriptures.

In the book, Fr. Martin does an excellent job of sharing his personal experience when he traveled to the Holy Land, as well as Scripture studies and theological connections to each location and story. I've learned so many fascinating things, and I know I will need to read this more than once to catch them all. Today, however, I was especially struck by Fr. Martin's description of Jesus' agonized scream from the cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" The author offers theories and various interpretations of Jesus' plea, ending with a parallel to Mother Teresa's 'dark night'. I cannot begin to capture the nuances of the book, so you'll have to read it for the details. Considering the example of Mother Teresa helped me to truly consider Jesus' human side. Despair, abandonment, pain, loss, humility - these emotions are difficult to experience and hard to share or explain. Jesus understands, especially when the world does not. He has experienced a 'dark night', but He did not lose faith. What hope that gives!

On this Solemnity, let us take heart that the King of the Universe understands. From our darkest emotions to our highest joys, God is present. We are reminded that our relationship with God isn't based on feelings, but rather is cemented in the knowledge of God's great love for us. A love so big that Jesus was sent to suffer, die, and rise so that we might be saved.

Prayer - 
". . . that you, rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all fullness of God." ~Ephesians 3:17b-19

"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." ~Romans 8:38-39

No comments: