Saturday, November 29, 2014

Intentional Living

A recent post (read it) mentioned intentional living.  The term came from some Matthew Kelly materials I'd been reading/listening to (Check out some of my recommendations here).  Many of the talks I'd heard referred to 'intentionality' or moving forward with purpose.  I think most of his books refer to this idea in some form.  It's a focus that I've been trying to incorporate in my life, but not always successfully.

In a very broad sense, intentional living means I am discerning God's Will and doing my best to move forward.  In a more practical sense, I am prudent in my choices, and moving forward with a plan, rather than waiting for life to happen to me.  What surprises me is how much this sounds like entrepreneurship or corporate America.  Isn't the 'American Dream' going after what you want?  Maybe so, but the very BIG difference is that intentional living is not about personal gain, but rather spiritual gain.  I suppose these paths are not mutually exclusive, but don't confuse the differences.


A friend contacted me after reading the post, and told me how she evaluated some choices in her life and chose to be fully present to her family.  Our conversation blew me away.  It was both good and a little scary.  I was thrilled that God was speaking to her through my writing, but I was also a little nervous.  She had put the intentional living into practice with a happy heart, and here I was still grudgingly hanging on to less-than-stellar habits.  I needed to take my own advice!

What amuses me the most right now is my own reluctance to practice this consistently.  You know something is good for you, but you don't want to do it.  I know we have all experienced this in various areas of our life.  I think, for me, my biggest roadblock is fear of failure.  If I don't try, I won't fail.  I need to recognize that train of thought for the faulty thinking that it is.  Not trying is an automatic fail.  You've heard the adages:
-You miss all of the shots you don't take.
-The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.
-The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
-By changing nothing, nothing changes.
-The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.
-The appetite of the sluggard craves but has nothing, but the appetite of the diligent is amply satisfied.
-Whatever you do, do from the heart, as for the Lord and not for others.
Prayer - Lord, help me to grow through Your grace.  I can allow fear to rule my actions and derail my true purpose.  It is only with You that I can accomplish what You want.  Show me the way and prepare me for the journey.



No comments: