Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thankful Thursday 11/13/14 - Emmalyn


I'm posting this early, because I wanted to share a connection that has been instrumental in my life.  Today I learned that my very first piano teacher died.  Emmalyn was a dear soul.  I don't remember a lot of details from my first piano lessons with her, but there are a few things that stick out.

Her house had a beautiful sun room, and I loved to peek in after my lesson was
finished.  I sometimes got to wait in there for my mom to pick me up.  I remember working in my very first piano books that had the funny songs and drawings to help me learn my lessons.  She always had a sweet treat for after the lesson, but it wasn't a bribe or reward for doing well; she simply had the gift of hospitality.  I liked her, even as a young child.  I've had teachers who intimidated me, but Emmalyn was a welcoming presence.  She loved music and teaching, which was evident.

I don't recall when I stopped taking lessons from her, but living in a small town meant our lives intersected many more times.  Over the course of my grade school, high school, and college years I took some more music lessons, but none of my teachers had a cool sun room or cookies after lessons :)  My technique improved, and my love of music grew.  Over the years I played for many, many church services, school Masses, and even, on occasion, just for fun.  I dabbled in teaching my own students, minus a cool sun room, and truly enjoyed helping students grow and learn.



By the time I left for college, I had kind of lost contact with Emmalyn, although I would get updates from my parents when they saw her.  I'm sure my mother greatly exaggerated my musical talent, but she couldn't have mistaken my joy in music.  In college, music was my constant.  A quiet, introverted soul who was shy could connect through music.  And I did.  Then, it somehow got back to the music director at the Catholic Newman Center that I played piano, which they needed.  I guess you could say the rest is history, considering I'm now the music director at that same Newman Center!

At some point, I decided to connect with Emmalyn again, and I started sending her a letter at Christmas.  At first I just wanted to get in touch because she was always so complimentary to my parents when they shared my latest activities.  After that, I enjoyed hearing from her and wanted to thank her for my early music formation.  I'm sure every single letter she had ever received from me talked about music in some shape or form, because it had become such a big part of my life.  Would I have such a love of music even if Emmalyn hadn't been my piano teacher?  Probably.  But I like to think that it was not only her early influence, but more importantly, her continued support of me that helped me to truly flourish.

I know, it seems like a stretch that a yearly letter could have such an impact, but it did.  I knew, that no matter where she was, or what she had going on in her life, she appreciated hearing from me.  She always wrote back thanking me for once again remembering her.  She believed that I could and would do anything I set my heart on.  Such unconditional belief is an amazing gift.  I don't share this so you can know that Emmalyn thought I was a pretty amazing person.  I share this because you are or can be that kind of support to someone in your life.  You never know what will impact another person.

If you have such a person in your life, someone who believes in you unconditionally, you are blessed.  I strongly encourage you to thank them.  If they are a regular part of your life, make an effort to express your appreciation.  If you have drifted apart, take a moment to send a card or letter.  It is never to late to say thank you, and it is never too late to support someone in your life who needs you.  What better gift than the gift of self?

I try to emulate Emmalyn's welcoming spirit.  Sometimes I succeed, more often I don't.  I do not expect any accolades, and I believe that something minuscule in my eyes could have an impact I never imagined.  "There is an appointed time for everything, and a time for every affair under the heavens."  ~Ecclesiastes 3:1  You and I may be called to sow the seeds or to reap the harvest, but rarely do we get the privilege of both pieces in life.  I'd like to think that Emmalyn, beautiful soul that she was, was gifted with both sides of the equation.  She planted the seed, nourished it, and saw the harvest.  Such a gift of grace.

My soul grieves the loss of a beautiful person, but my heart smiles to think of the beautiful music that is her life now.  When my parents shared the news with me today, I briefly thought, 'I guess I won't get to send her a Christmas letter,' and then realized that she probably already knows!  Most of all, I was thankful that I had taken the opportunity to reconnect with Emmalyn and to thank her for being my first piano teacher.

Life is too short to waste time on regrets.  It's never to late to say thank you.  So, my dear Emmalyn, thank you for your gift of self.  Thank you for encouraging me over the years.  Your belief in me was a beautiful gift.  I look forward to making beautiful music with you someday, maybe in your new Son room?  I'll bring the treats.

No comments: