Thursday, November 06, 2014

Thankful Thursday 11/6/14

Today I am thankful for forgiveness.  This is really a daily thanks, if I'm willing to admit I when I am wrong!  I recently took my stress and frustration out on a friend, and shortly after the moment, I realized my error.  I wanted to justify my position and words.  I was tired, I am behind on project A, I have thing B looming over me, I am allowed to be grouchy once in a while!  The reality was, no, there is never an excuse for being unkind.  So shortly after our interaction, I knew I had to apologize and seek forgiveness.

Thankfully the circle from me messing up, realizing my mistake, and seeking forgiveness is getting smaller.  So either I'm recognizing my error and resolving it more quickly, or I'm getting more practice because I do it too much.  Hmmm.






Ultimately, I'm (usually) willing to admit my mistake and seek forgiveness.  So it is with the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  It's not easy to highlight my failings and weakness, even when God already knows them.  I'm not sure why I think I can 'hide' them from God who knows all.  Instead of focusing on my so-called justifications, I need to rely on God's mercy and grace.  Our God is a merciful God who loves us beyond comprehension.

"In him we have redemption by his blood, the forgiveness of transgressions, in accord with the riches of his grace."  ~Ephesians 1:7

"Repent, therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be wiped away."  ~Acts 3:19

"As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our sins from us."  ~Psalm 103:12

"Who is a God like you, who removes guilt and pardons sin for the remnant of his inheritance; Who does not persist in anger forever, but delights in mercy, and will again have compassion on us, treading underfoot our iniquities?  You will cast into the depths of the sea all our sins;"  ~Micah 7:18-19

To 'delight in mercy' or 'in accord with the riches of his grace' - what beautiful promises.  Our God loves us with abandon, in a way we cannot fathom.  We must strive to open ourselves to this amazing gift.

Prayer - Lord, thank you for your mercy and love.  We cannot comprehend the depths of your love for us.  Help us open ourselves to You each and every day, as You pour graces over us.

No comments: