Monday, September 02, 2013

22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time - part 2

See previous part 1 here.

Humility - everyone's favorite topic.  Or not.  It's not my favorite word.  But Jesus thought it was worth a parable, so let's try to see it from His view.

Definition of humility - the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

Okay, so what is the definition of humble?  According to http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/humble

hum·ble

  [huhm-buhl, uhm-]  Show IPA adjective,hum·bler, hum·blest, verb, hum·bled, hum·bling.
adjective
1.
not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful.
2.
having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience, etc.:In the presence of so many world-famous writers I felt very humble.
3.
low in rank, importance, status, quality, etc.; lowly: of humbleorigin; a humble home.
4.
courteously respectful: In my humble opinion you are wrong.
5.
low in height, level, etc.; small in size: a humble member of thegalaxy.

Hmmm.  I see why we shy away from this word.  Definition #1 is good.  We like people who aren't arrogant.  But definition #2 is very contrary to our society.  In a world that constantly asks 'what's in it for ME?', being considered inferior is like a social death blow.  Definition #3 is also socially contrary, but definition #4 is another quality we like in others:  respect.  (Side note - the sentence used to illustrate #4 "In my humble opinion you are wrong,"  seems to me to almost NEVER be used with respect.  We generally use it as sarcasm, thus negating the meaning of humble in that context.  Confused yet?)  Definition #5 is another interesting twist from society.  Society puts a negative emphasis on humble in that context.  It is considered almost regretful to be short or small.  In a world of 'bigger is better', it's hard to be okay with being humble.

So there are aspects of being humble that everyone likes . . . . in someone else!  We like to be called modest and courteous, true.  However, humility has the slight social taint that we aren't sure we want to be attributed directly to us.  Thus the battle of human and divine.  Jesus calls us to be humble, yet our world views that as a weakness.  So, what's so great about being humble?  Why does Jesus call us to humility?  First - we need to view humility as Jesus does, removing our human bias.  I've heard many excellent homilies that use the following phrase to update our thinking on humility:
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.  ~C.S. Lewis
Do you see the difference?  Just by switching the order of 3 words, we come up with a whole new understanding.  Yes, our human reaction may be to balk at the concept of humility, since we tend to associate it with words like wimp, doormat, pushover, etc.  But in the Gospel, Jesus isn't asking us to be a coward.  He is telling us to take our focus and energy and direct it outside of ourselves.  We are used to the refrain of "me, me, me", and that doesn't leave any time or energy for others.  So instead of thinking only of ourselves, we are called to think of others.

I get the feeling that Jesus was being tongue-in-cheek with this parable.  I mean, He's telling people how to be exalted?  No - he's using the parable to poke us out of complacency.  He presents the concept in a way that our socially-conscious ego can handle.  Jesus knows us well.

Prayer - Lord, You know me better than I know myself.  Help me to understand humility as You do.  It is not a badge of shame, but rather a desire to be like You.

Matthew 11:28-30  "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  (emphasis mine)

No comments: