Sunday, September 29, 2013

25th Sunday in Ordinary Time - Not of this world

http://usccb.org/bible/readings/092213.cfm

Quick recap:
1st Reading - Amos - The Lord will never forget our actions towards the poor.
Psalm 113 - God cares for the poor and lifts them up.
2nd Reading - 1 Timothy - peace is the way to live
Gosepl - Luke 16 - Dishonest, yet prudent, steward

It seems strange that Jesus would uphold the dishonest steward as worthy of note.  Out of context, it seems backwards.  But the lesson we are being taught is prudence.  Jesus is probing into our lives, asking us to honestly consider our actions.  When we have a situation that will profit us (monetarily, give us acclaim, increase our earnings or status, etc.), we are very prudent in our actions.  To be prudent is to be careful in providing for the future.  The steward, although dishonest, is covering his butt.  He is making sure that when he is removed from his position, he has options.  But Jesus reminds us that the steward is very shortsighted; while the steward is trying to prepare for his immediate future, he is not attending to his eternal future.  In the same way, we are called to examine our lives - are we covering our 'earthly needs' or are we preparing for our 'eternal needs'.

Challenge - consider this:  do I deal more kindly with strangers in business opportunities than I do with my own family?  Am I preparing for my eternal future or am I focused solely on my earthly future?

Prayer - Lord, I want to be a good provider, and sometimes I get caught up in the earthly needs.  Help me remember that everything I do should be done with my eternal goals in mind.  I want to celebrate with you in Paradise, therefore, I can't be short-sighted in my goals.  Gently nudge me back when I get too focused on earthly concerns.



No comments: