Sunday, September 29, 2013

26th Sunday in Ordinary Time - Chasms

http://usccb.org/bible/readings/092913.cfm

Quick recap:
1st reading - Amos - Amos is still calling the Israelites to shape up - they create their own peril by ignoring those in need.
Psalm 146 - Praise God, who is just to those in need; He will not forsake them.
Epistle - 1 Timothy - 'Compete well for the faith'
Gospel - Luke 16 - Rich man and Lazarus

The biggest thing that struck me in our bible study conversations was that the rich man was not a 'bad' man.  He was not cruel, and being rich didn't make him bad.  His sin was the absence of compassion; he ignored Lazarus at his door.  What a different story could have been if the rich man had responded like the Good Samaritan!  As Abraham reminds the rich man, their were ample opportunities to learn from Scripture on how to act.  Another point that caught my attention had to do with the chasm referenced in the Gospel.  How we live now, on earth, is how we will live in eternity:
"The present moment is amplified in eternity.  Ultimately, how we live both now and in eternity is our choice.  God makes good (or bad) on our choice!"  Living Liturgy 2013
The reflections went on to say that it is easy to talk about the poor and starving in abstract terms, i.e. someone should do something about hunger in our world.  We make this out as a problem beyond our reach, when we can serve the poor and hungry at our door.  Now, they may not be right on our front step, but we cannot ignore the needs that exist right here.  I can make a difference.  I have a duty to support the Lazarus figures in my life.  Not simply to follow the letter of the law, but because I am to love my neighbor.  That means I must show compassion for all of God's people, and help when I can.

Challenge - the rich man experienced a change of heart only after he died.  How can I soften my heart and open my eyes to the needs of those around me?

Prayer - Lord, You have commanded me to love my neighbor.  Help me to understand that this is bigger than the person who lives next door.  Open my eyes to see the opportunities I have to show compassion and love to Your children.

No comments: