Sunday, August 17, 2014

20th Sunday in Ordinary Time - persistence

http://usccb.org/bible/readings/081714.cfm

Quick recap:
1st Reading - Isaiah 56 - importance of prayer
Psalm 67 - O God, let all the nations praise you!
Epistle - Romans 11 - mercy of God
Gospel - Matthew 15 - Canaanite woman persisted in her request for healing of her daughter, and it was granted.

If I repeat myself, I apologize.  Sometimes I think that I've already addressed a t
opic, but I can't find any posts on it.  Other times I will have an idea that I think is new, and then I realize I've already touched on it several times.  So I will either fail to post on something due to the former, or I will repeat myself due to the latter.  You've been warned.


Today's Gospel is interesting to me with the model of the Canaanite woman.  I am not nearly as persistent as I should be in prayer.  Even when the disciples urged Jesus to send her away and Jesus rebuked her, she continued to persist.

per·sist·ence
pərˈsistəns/
noun
  1. firm or obstinate continuance in a course of action in spite of difficulty or opposition.
    "companies must have patience and persistence, but the rewards are there"
    • the continued or prolonged existence of something.
      "the persistence of huge environmental problems"


Hmm, I can relate to being obstinate, no doubt, but how I have I shown this in my prayer life?  Do I persist or do I give up at the first sign of resistance?  It is very likely that I am more persistent when I have a material goal than I am in my prayers.  Plan, save, prepare for a trip - yep, I can do that.  Work extra, research, save up to buy a tablet - done that too.  Continue to pray even when I don't feel like it or when the odds seem completely against me - that's harder.  I especially appreciate a phrase from our bible study book that helps focus my energies:
There is a fine line between "persistence" and "nagging."  The latter is about getting what we want, being turned toward ourselves.  The persistence in the gospel that models great faith arises from being turned toward the good of others.  Persistence in seeking the good of others possibly only when we have established healthy relationships.  (Living Liturgy, 2014)
Well, there's my trouble - my focus was internal, on my own goals and stuff.  I know that interceding for someone else is powerful.  So let's harness our collective prayers.  Ask for blessings for someone - family, friend, acquaintance, co-worker, person on the street, etc.  Persist in prayer for them.  Ask God to bestow blessings on them.  Lift them up with every frustration, struggle, and challenge you encounter.  Imagine the possibilities in our world.

Be persistent.  

No comments: