Sunday, August 17, 2014

Distractions part 2

Read part 1 here.

Another observation about distractions - what am I doing to limit or control them?  I can't control the weather or health issues or a friend's crisis, but I can reevaluate my environment, habits, and temptations.  Here's an example:  I have a library of books.  Literally.  I am passionate about reading and learning, and I have nurtured this by collecting lots and lots of books.  Those who have helped me move over the years can attest to my love of books - sorry!  More recently, however, I have begun evaluating both the purpose and value of my books.  Books have distracted me for years and years, and now I want to consider the source.  What value am I getting from these books?  How are they helping me reach my life goals?  Reading a book for enjoyment is okay, but what about reading to learn more about my faith?  I have many interests and priorities that need to balance with my limited free time.  If I truly wish to become a better person as I journey towards Heaven, I have to remove some of the lesser distractions in my life.  This is not an easy task.  


I had a conversation with a dear friend about St. Francis of Assisi.  He had recently visited Assisi, and was recounting the experience.  He had pictures of some murals that depicted St. Francis' life, and the choices St. Francis made when he answered God's call.  To hear the story, you would think that it was no big deal to St. Francis, which truly, it wasn't, but if you or I were asked to give up our most prized possession, could we do it?  So, if we put distractions into the context of this story, am I willing to give up my distractions  for the sake of my soul?  I can't remove every distraction, but I can limit the lesser ones if I choose to focus on my true life goals.  

It will not be easy for me to relinquish my collection of books, but I've started the process.  I realize that a choice to read book after book just for the sake of reading is less important than it used to be.  I consider it a work in progress.  I did not build my collection overnight, and I will not change my habits overnight either.

What is(are) your most prized possession(s)?  Could you give them up for God?  Should you?  I don't claim to have the answers, but I think these questions can lead to some mighty interesting conversations with God.  

No comments: