Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Day 10

Day 10: Jan 20, Tel Aviv - USA
Transfer to airport for the flight home with memories to last a lifetime
.

Today was a free day.  Because our flight doesn't leave until 11pm, we have until 5pm to explore, relax, or do whatever.  My desire was to revisit the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.  Ate breakfast, and then 3 of us took a taxi to the Jaffa gate.  I headed to the church and they headed to the Dome of the Rock.

The scene was quiet and very peaceful.  Upon entering, I didn't see anyone.  I headed straight to the tomb.  At first I didn't see anyone there, so initially I was unsure if it was open.  As I came to the entrance, I saw two or three people inside the angel room.  I entered, and we moved into the inner room.  We had time to kneel and pray, without being rushed.  Pretty incredible.  I walked around the inside of the church to the stairs.  Once again, I "climbed" Calvary.  There were maybe 3 or 4 people praying.  I was able to go right to the hole where the Cross stood and pray there.  I found a corner spot and settled in to pray, meditate, and write.  Only downside:  the marble was pretty cold!


Lather, rinse, repeat.  I enjoyed a few hours inside, then headed outside to warm up. Walked right out to the Damascus Gate and sat for a bit.  Wondered what to do next.  Prayed for inspiration, and what should happen, but 7 people of our group strolled past me, heading into the city!  I jumped up and surprised them.  We wandered in and out of shops, up and down streets, with the general goal of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.  Once there we visited the holy sites again.  Lines were short, and the mood was relaxed.  More walking, then we stopped for lunch.  We continued wandering, and eventually headed for the light train, one of their public transportation options.  It took a while to get the options in English, but we eventually figured it out.  Now that we are leaving, I can semi-navigate the Old City.  Oh well.  Maybe more luck next time.  

No comments: