Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Day 4b

Mount of Beatitudes - absolutely breathtaking.  I cannot capture the experience of being there, but I will try :-)  We drove up, arriving at a beautiful scene, complete with a breathtaking view of the Sea of Galilee.  Walking over to the church, we learned that the location really wasn't so authentic, because the church wasn't built on any ruins.  The area was selected, in part, because of the view and it's proximity to what is believed to be the actual site of the Sermon.  

I had ulterior motives for my desire to see the site.  In reading the book by Fr. James Martin, "Jesus:  A Pilgrimage", I loved the description he shared about his time on the Mount.  He spoke of a peaceful experience, which lent itself to prayer and contemplataion.  I wholeheartedly concur.  Although our time there was extremely short, it was every bit as lovely as I anticipated.  I took a few brief videos, attempting to capture the songbirds, and lots of pictures, which won't do the site justice.  Best of all, I have the memories, and now the opportunity to unpack the experience.  

After our group arrived, our guide led us to the church, and we listened to the reading Matthew 5:1-12.  So powerful to hear the reading when we are at a site dedicated to the beatitudes, while in Galilee where Jesus spent time in ministry.  

No comments: