Thursday, January 01, 2015

A New Year

I survived the day!  It may not sound like much, but after being home sick for so many days, I feel like I've been given a second chance at life.  Okay, yes, a bit dramatic, perhaps, but I couldn't resist.  I mean, I didn't even have to take a nap to get through the day!  Coincidentally, we just began a new year, and for so many people, this day becomes an opportunity for a second chance.  The chance to change, grow, improve or any other verb you want to use.  Some see it as a catalyst, the push needed to define a change, goal, or resolution.  I used to be big on resolutions, and they can be wonderful tools.  However, I don't want to limit my opportunities for growth to once a year, nor do I want the pressure (real or imagined) of sticking with something for the wrong reasons.  So, if you made a resolution (or 2 or 10), I applaud you for taking steps to change your life.  If you need accountability, I'm ready to help.  I've discovered that my attempts at change work better when I have a support network and like-minded people joining me on the journey.  It's part of why I blog (which seems like it should be it's own blog post . . . someday).


One thing that struck me today is the similarity between New Years and the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  Or, perhaps I should say that the general perception of New Years Day could parallel the experience of Reconciliation.  Here's my train of thought:  New Years is seen as a fresh start.  People tend to join gyms, quit smoking, stop cursing, etc. at the start of a new year.  It's not that there is any magic with January 1, other than our mindset.  A new calendar, a new month, a new year all provide a great time to start fresh.  I would suggest that the Sacrament of Reconciliation can offer that, and much more often than once a year!  Consider this - we are all familiar with the verse from John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that everyone who believes in Him might not perish but might have have eternal life."  Christ came to give us the gift of salvation, but our salvation is more than a one-time deal.  We must continually participate in our salvation, and we do this by our choices, our words, and our actions every day.  God continually wants us, desires us, longs for us in a way we cannot begin to comprehend.  And this is even when we mess up and make really dumb choices or turn away from God completely.  God wants us, right now, wherever we are.  He is always ready to give us a 'fresh start', and we don't have to wait until January 1 to experience it! 

So what's the problem?  For me, the first challenge is admitting that I need forgiveness, because that means I have to admit I was wrong.  That is not easy, and I haven't figured out any way around this step.  The next obstacle is 'letting' God see my sins.  I know, I know.  God knows everything, so it's not exactly earth-shattering news to God.  Yet this is a major hangup for many people, myself included.  I don't have to fix things before I approach God.  Rather, I can't fix anything without God.  Life goes more smoothly when I remember that.  Other roadblocks may include fear, pride, anger, laziness, apathy, and the list could go on and on.  So here is the deal - whether or not you make resolutions on January 1, consider the blessings and graces of the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  I highly recommend adding this to your immediate to-do list.  Think of it as a 'fresh start' whenever you need it (which is probably more often than you or I are willing to admit!).  Start 2015 off right - over and over again.












No comments: