Saturday, January 03, 2015

Proverbs 16:3


This verse applies to many life events, both happy and sad. Perhaps it signifies a new beginning, such as a graduation or promotion. Or, it may provide comfort during a time of uncertainty, like the loss of a job or starting a new chapter in life. Either way, the verse highlights trust. Trust God during the good and the bad.

It's hard, though, to trust. For me, during the good times, I sometimes forget that God got me to that particular place. It's easy to focus on myself, thinking that it was 'my' abilities, strengths, or any other number of attributes that made something happen. No - that's not the case. At the very least, any talents that I think I have came from God. In a world of independence it is acceptable, and usually expected, to praise a person for his/her achievements. I'm not against compliments or admiration, but I want to get to a place in life where the first announcement of my supposed success highlights God. That accomplishes two things: 1) If I am putting God first, then my goals will align with God's, rather than my own, and 2) I remember that I am not God. Don't laugh - I'm very aware that I am not God, except when I'm not. For example, when I get caught up in my agenda or plans, without consulting God, I have created or become my own version of God. It happens a lot more than most of us want to admit. Think about it; how easy is it to promote our agenda, rather than fully experiencing God's?

Then there is the other end of the spectrum - trusting during the hard times. This past week has been a lesson in trust. Being sick was not on my agenda. I've got lots of reasons why I don't have time for this (I am going on a big trip soon, will I have enough sick days, how can I get everything done?). I could spend lots of time focusing on what I perceive to be negatives. Yet, who says that I had to accomplish items 1-10 on my to-do list this week (who am I kidding, 1-25,- my list is a mile long)? Hmmm, apparently I did. Why else would I be upset that things are not going according to MY plan? Guess what? I still have to trust. I am called to trust that there is good in this situation, in the detour to MY agenda. Perhaps I was being called to practice patience, learn to trust, or how to just be when I cannot do anything else. Maybe part of my lesson was realizing that if I can spend more than 3 days just 'being' (even if I really did not want to), a few minutes each day will not kill me. It was certainly an opportunity to slow down, because I didn't have a choice!

Maybe that's part of the gift of the verse as well. Being able to look back on a time and see how trust was present. While I was under the weather, I wasn't particularly grateful or even cognizant enough to reflect on the experience. Yet now I can learn from the experience. I know, it's not that easy. When there is tragedy and loss, the healing is extensive and not confined by the bonds of time. It will take as long as it takes. But the beauty of this verse is it's very timelessness. Trust at all times. Listen to God for guidance, and be open to God's call. You will succeed, but the success will be God's doing, in God's time, and possibly in a way you never imagined.

"Entrust your works to the Lord, and your plans will succeed." ~Proverbs 16:3

No comments: