Saturday, January 17, 2015

Reflections

I woke up early, and wanted to capture some thoughts.  This pilgrimage has been so touching and unreal.  At times I have felt as though I/we rush through some of sites, or that I should 'feel' more at a certain place, though some of the logistics can't be helped.  Yet, I can cry at a simple phrase during Mass, or become overwhelmed when I reflect on what I've seen and touched and where I've walked.  As one of our priests commented, we will never celebrate Christmas in quite the same way after having seen and touched the place Jesus was born.  I find this to be true of our celebration of the Mass, and it will be even more so after we visit the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Our lives are different.  Hopefully, improved because we are open to God.  There is a definite opportunity for softening to God, and it feels much more tangible here.  Probably, because, as my sister put it, my soul is more alive in such a holy place.  Our hearts are burning, as the verse from Luke says,

'Then they said to each other, “Were not our hearts burning [within us] while he spoke to us on the way and opened the scriptures to us?”'

Today and tomorrow we focus on the last week of Jesus, Holy Week as we know it.  I don't know if words can capture the anticipation I feel.  Such love.  So, my prayer of reflection is a favorite verse on God's love from Ephesians 3:17-19:

"Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him.  Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.  And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully.  Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God."

Sababa - awesome.

:-)


No comments: