Saturday, January 10, 2015

Prayer - part 2

Read Prayer - part 1 here.  I've been prayerfully pondering this post for quite some time, and I didn't quite know how to finish out this particular topic.  I think I've experienced my answer.  The past two weeks have wreaked havoc on my sense of normalcy and control.  I don't believe that I control my universe, but I do have a certain level of expectation on how things will proceed in an average day.  That was not the case in the recent past.  This was exacerbated by the excitement and stress of my upcoming pilgrimage.  So, not only was I not experiencing my healthy self with normal stress/routine, I was upping the ante with illness and chaos.  Again, what I have experienced is not catastrophic by any stretch of the imagination, but I think the lessons learned can apply to many situations.  During this time, those who knew I was sick offered prayers.  The people closest to me offered lots of prayers and sacrifices.  It was a bit overwhelming.  When I started the post on prayer, I was on the giving end of prayer.  Now, as I finish part 2, I'm on the receiving end of prayer.  It's a unique place to be.  Similar to the situation of the pray-er, now as the 'pray-ee', I am finding a variety of responses to this situation.  I've also noticed that my response can vary depending on the closeness of my relationship to the person offering prayers.  Personally, I have generally responded in 3 ways:  surprise, defensiveness, gratitude

Surprise.  This response tends to catch me off guard.  I've noticed it usually happens when I am ignoring circumstances or putting on some type of appearance.  Surprise can come from two things.  I can be surprised by someone's offer to pray for me when we have never discussed prayer before.  It may startle me to hear them say that.  Sadly, though, sometimes that surprise can come from a prideful place, when I may discount the 'value' of the person's prayer, as if I can judge the quality (which I most definitely can't!) and find them supposedly lacking.  This is about judgment.  

Defensiveness.  This response also has two forms.  First, I may be struggling to give the appearance of control, and having someone offer prayers can slice that facade into ribbons.  It can sometimes be painful and embarrassing if my obvious lack of control is laid bare for all to see.  Second, defensiveness can rise up from a fear of vulnerability.  I may not want to show my 'weakness', so I mask it with attitude.  A defensive response to someone's offer of prayer may be a misguided attempt at redirecting attention away from my brokenness.  This is about appearance.

Gratitude.  This response has a variety of levels within it.  Gratitude can stem from a more superficial appreciation all the way to an overwhelming sense of grace that can make me cry.  A sincere offer of prayer for a situation can be a positive interaction, affirming the good, and bringing the pray-er and pray-ee closer together.  Or, there are the times when God uses someone to offer wisdom which is not of this world.  Those prayer experiences are pretty spectacular.  I've been on both sides of that encounter.  But, the experiences that elicit the most gratitude seem to have 2 things in common:  a meaningful relationship and/or a heart that is open.

For example, if a complete stranger walked up to me and started telling me that in three days I would be cured of all my bronchitis issues and that my trip was going to be a fruitful experience, I would freak out at least a little!  I'd probably question my sanity and their sources.  But if a trusted friend or family member were to approach me and affirm that God has a plan, and my healing would happen in due time, and perhaps my need to slow-down on the pilgrimage would lend itself to having a more prayerful experience, I would be more open to hearing that message.  Their words wouldn't (hopefully) fall on deaf ears, and I could receive encouragement and strength.

I learn, each and every day, more about my relationship with God, especially through prayer.  It's not always easy, yet there is always a revelation waiting; an invitation to go deeper.  Sometimes I take it, and sometimes I don't, but it is always there.  It's been a joy to truly think about prayer and what it means, from both sides of the equation.  I invite you to consider your prayer life.  What responses do you find when you are the 'pray-er' or the 'pray-ee'?  As we wrap up the Christmas Season, consider how you can continue to develop your prayer life.  There is much that God wishes to share with you.  I would like to leave you with a line from the Little Blue Book, "Spend some quiet time with the Lord."

"Pray without ceasing."  ~1 Thessalonians 5:17

No comments: