Friday, January 02, 2015

Day 4a

Day 4: Jan 14, Tiberias: Sea of Galilee 
Theme: The Ministry of Christ in the Galilee
After breakfast we start with a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee. After this, see the remains of a boat that dates back to the time of Jesus, found buried in mud. Continue to the Mount of Beatitudes, scene of Jesus’ great Sermon on the Mount. Nearby is Tabgha, where Jesus fed the crowd of 5,000 and onto the site known as “Peter’s Primacy”. Here, after His resurrection, Jesus met with His disciples and told Peter to “feed my lambs; feed my sheep.” [John 21:9]. A short drive away is Capernaum, from where Jesus launched his Ministry; see the synagogue which dates to the time of Jesus and the church built over the site of Peter’s home. In the late afternoon visit Cana, where Jesus performed His first miracle at the request of His mother [John 2:1-11]. Here visit the Franciscan chapel where those who wish to may renew their wedding vows. Dinner and overnight at your hotel.

It was windy on the Sea of Galilee, so our boat ride moved to later in the day.  We started with a delicious and plentiful breakfast and then I ran down for a quick glimpse of the Sea of Galilee. (How cool that I can say that!!!). Next, we drove to Cana.  The couples in our group were able to renew their wedding vows in the Divine Mercy Chapel off of the Catholic Church of Cana. Then we toured under the church and saw ruins that have been dated to Jesus time.  

Church of the Mount of Beatitudes - AMAZING!!!  So peaceful and beautiful.  More on this later, plus hopefully a small video of the beauty (and birds, too!).

Church of Peter's Primacy - where we celebrated Mass, right on the edge of the water.  To think, we were hearing sounds that Jesus heard, the waves against the shore.  So awesome.  We used the outdoor chapel, so it felt very connected to the area, especially the Sea of Galilee :-)  There is a rock there that is said to be where Jesus made breakfast for the disciples after His Resurrection.  We had time to collect shells on the shore, and just enjoy the view!

Because of the theme and where we just celebrated Mass, lunch was at a local Lebanese restaurant where we could eat St. Peter's fish.  We could order a fillet, the entire fish (head, bones, and all), or a non-fish item.  I wasn't interested in food with eyes on my plate, so I chose the fillet.  But I did get a picture from one of the group who did!  

Tabgha - feeeding of the 5000.  This was a lovely church with another stone that was said to have been where Jesus fed the 5000.  The famous mosaic on the floor depicts 2 fish and 4 loaves.  There is a lot of debate and/or theories about why the mosaic is one loaf short.  A few that our guide shared with us - the 5th loaf is Jesus Christ.  Or it was a miscalculation in measurements.  Or it looks the same from on top whether there are 4 or 5 loaves.  Who knows?  Regardless, it was lovely.  I was able to light a candle for all of the payer intentions I have been carrying.  

Capernuam - we saw lots of ruins, and the area that had the room where Jesus lived in Peter's house.  There is a interestingly shaped church built over the site, with a portion of the floor made of glass over Jesus' room.  I can't remember all of the details as to the proof or evidence of the area, but it was unreal to see something so old.  We also saw the ruins of a synagogue - not the one Jesus would have attended, specifically, but it was helpful to learn about the customs and how it related to Jesus' time.  

Corsi - as we drove to our boat ride, we passed the area known as Corsi, which is where Jesus called the demon(s) out of the man and sent it/them into a herd of pigs.  

Sea of Galilee - this was something whcih I had been anticipating for a very long time.  I was so excited to get on the boat and ride out into the Sea.  To think I was emulating something that Jesus would have done many times!  It was so peaceful and lovely.  

Finally, we visited the museum that housed a 2000 year-old boat.  It is unknown as to the origin or use of the boat, but it could have been a fishing boat from Jesus' time.  No one is entirely sure.  The evidence suggests that is a possibility.  Either way, it reminded me of the stairs in Rome that Jesus was reputed to have walked.  The point isn't in the authentic history of the item, but in the opportunity to experience something that deepens one's faith.  

Now, we are back to the hotel and will be partaking in another delicious meal.  Tomorrow we leave the area of Galilee and make our way to Jerusalem!  I am very sad to go; I find this area to be so peaceful and soothing.  There is a real spark of awareness when I stop to consider I am seeing places that I have heard about my entire life.  It's a bit surreal to have them come to life.  

One (big) caveat.  I am not advising the authenticity or lack thereof of the sites.  I have no need to do so for my purposes or beliefs.  Our excellent guide shared so many details and history and knowledge that I cannot do justice to all that he said.  So, my apologies for any mistakes or errors.  I would also refer you to the excellent resource, "Jesus:  A Pilgrimage" by Fr. James Martin or "The Holy Land:  An Archeological Guide" by Jerome Murphy-O'Connor.  They can more aptly cover the details I've missed.  



No comments: